surround camera image

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

alxgb wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 am
derekm wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 pm No, not had that problem. I do have a problem with the image not being centred accurately i.e. when the surround view says I'm perfectly positioned in the middle of two white lines (in a car park), I'm actually offset to one side by about 6 inches. OPC Bristol have had it back for several days to recalibrate but they say it's the best they can do.... it's meant to be an indication, not totally accurate. Shame because my 640D is 100% accurate but then it's a BMW....
It sounds like a calibration issue. I'd have that looked at by the dealer.

Sounds like a strange suggestion but you've checked that all your sensors and cameras are clean? I had a problem on an i8 where horse muck had flung up and covered one of the sensors and the telemetry was thrown out because one of the sensors wasn't contributing readings correctly.
Yes, it's been back to the dealer and they've had it several days. On two separate occasions. They have tried to recalibrate it, failed to improve it, and have referred it to Germany who came back with the quote above about surround view being "indicative". As observed above, 6 inches is the difference between kerbing the alloys and not doing so (which is why I paid for the option in the first place) or, worse, reversing into something. For that money and in this day and age, it's ridiculous. BMW have been offering surround view cameras that actually work properly for nearly a decade. Porsche should hang their head in shame.

Clean cameras is not the issue.

Deleted User 1895

Ian.g wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 am
derekm wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 pm when the surround view says I'm perfectly positioned in the middle of two white lines (in a car park), I'm actually offset to one side by about 6 inches...
This is a massive flaw - and would easily make the difference between scraping your car and not. I don't have surround (and I know that those of you do have it, love it) but it sounds like it is of limited usefulness if this is the case
Agreed: it's a massive flaw, really poor value for money and potentially both dangerous and expensive. Couple that with the unresponsive diesel engine and a High Beam Assistant which only works when it feels like it and it's a deeply unimpressive car, for which the beautiful interior and excellent handling are poor compensation.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

derekm wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:50 pm
alxgb wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 am
derekm wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 pm No, not had that problem. I do have a problem with the image not being centred accurately i.e. when the surround view says I'm perfectly positioned in the middle of two white lines (in a car park), I'm actually offset to one side by about 6 inches. OPC Bristol have had it back for several days to recalibrate but they say it's the best they can do.... it's meant to be an indication, not totally accurate. Shame because my 640D is 100% accurate but then it's a BMW....
It sounds like a calibration issue. I'd have that looked at by the dealer.

Sounds like a strange suggestion but you've checked that all your sensors and cameras are clean? I had a problem on an i8 where horse muck had flung up and covered one of the sensors and the telemetry was thrown out because one of the sensors wasn't contributing readings correctly.
Yes, it's been back to the dealer and they've had it several days. On two separate occasions. They have tried to recalibrate it, failed to improve it, and have referred it to Germany who came back with the quote above about surround view being "indicative". As observed above, 6 inches is the difference between kerbing the alloys and not doing so (which is why I paid for the option in the first place) or, worse, reversing into something. For that money and in this day and age, it's ridiculous. BMW have been offering surround view cameras that actually work properly for nearly a decade. Porsche should hang their head in shame.

Clean cameras is not the issue.
I appreciate that it's indicative but it should be accurate to within a much smaller tolerance. Don't give up - escalate it at PCGB and if they refuse to help, start talking to the press and seek publicity for the issue. Ensure that you have Porsche's written position on the matter for an article.

I'd speak to someone like Stuart Gallagher who is now the editor of EVO and was formerly editor of GT Porsche. Sometimes you need the right persuasion although before you say it, yes, you shouldn't have to get to that, it should just work.

Porsche tech isn't wonderful in a number of areas. I find it iniquitous that they charge for dynamic cruise control - something that cost me nothing on a Golf GTD at less than half the price! Don't even get me started on the lack of head up display option! Was one of the best features on the i8, worked extremely well in all conditions and in this speed conscious age, would surely be a popular option amongst Porsche drivers.

I've never needed a camera to parallel park, just the mirror drop and combined with sensors, never had an issue but totally see the value in the surround camera function.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

derekm wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:55 pm
derekm wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 pm when the surround view says I'm perfectly positioned in the middle of two white lines (in a car park), I'm actually offset to one side by about 6 inches...
This is a massive flaw - and would easily make the difference between scraping your car and not. I don't have surround (and I know that those of you do have it, love it) but it sounds like it is of limited usefulness if this is the case
Couple that with the unresponsive diesel engine and a High Beam Assistant which only works when it feels like it and it's a deeply unimpressive car, for which the beautiful interior and excellent handling are poor compensation.
That’s way over the top. ‘A deeply unimpressive car’? You’re on your own with that impression, clearly an emotionally charged statement fuelled by a relatively minor issue that has got you rather wound up.

Rather a lot of people seem to judge cars these days by their ‘tech’, rather than by the driving dynamics which are typical of a modern Porsche and which is the reason most of us have bought one.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

My diesel in Sport is far from unresponsive, although that mode does keep it up at the 1750rpm point, where torque delivery is almost instant? In normal, it tends to sit a good few hundred rpm lower and can take a little winding up.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 pm
Rather a lot of people seem to judge cars these days by their ‘tech’, rather than by the driving dynamics which are typical of a modern Porsche and which is the reason most of us have bought one.
I think when you're paying north of £40-50k say, you have reasonable expectations of certain levels of tech being available if you want them. I couldn't put parking sensors on my last GT3 at factory and that was north of £100k. Try seeing out the back at night somewhere you don't know when there are low walls or bollards and you have a substantial rear wing masking the view.

Macans are so insulated and comfortable, you lose perception of speed very easily and I wouldn't have minded having a heads up display showing my speed as a convenience. Similarly, features such as dynamic cruise control should be standard on a luxury vehicle in an age of speed cameras, average speed cameras, SMART motorways and so on. I'd argue they improve safety as you're more alert to focus on driving the car than watching the speedometer.

They're niceties of course and secondary to driving dynamics but when you have experienced and seen the value of certain tech, it's hard to accept the lack of them or the restriction to not specify them.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Whilst I wouldn't advocate that a "driver's car" should be devoid of tech surely the pleasure in driving a Porsche is its dynamic capability rather than the tech in it otherwise buy something like a Tesla if you want cutting edge tech. I know I'm not the only one who is pleased to have purchased my latest car with buttons instead of touch screen whodjumeflips! Far less distracting although I would agree that a heads up display would be useful.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Like this?

A39B1888-5C45-4867-9938-7EA0EE1B17ED.jpeg

Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:00 pm Like this?

A39B1888-5C45-4867-9938-7EA0EE1B17ED.jpeg
Yes Charles, exactly.
Deleted User 1895

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Couple that with the unresponsive diesel engine and a High Beam Assistant which only works when it feels like it and it's a deeply unimpressive car, for which the beautiful interior and excellent handling are poor compensation.
That’s way over the top. ‘A deeply unimpressive car’? You’re on your own with that impression, clearly an emotionally charged statement fuelled by a relatively minor issue that has got you rather wound up.

You're right, the inaccurate surround view camera is something I can live with but I wouldn't say that the engine/gearbox flat spot in normal mode, from standstill or at low revs, is a minor issue. It's downright dangerous at roundabouts or at road junctions if you try to pull out quickly. I expect Porsche to provide a high performance car which handles well (and I say that as a multiple Porsche owner). I am getting the latter but not the former. Putting it in Sport mode and the problem all but disappears but then I've got a constant, annoying "buzzing" because the car is operating at unnecessarily high revs at modest speeds (or maybe it's the turbo making that noise, I don't know). I wouldn't buy another diesel Macan, that's for sure but when I tried to sell, 6 months after my purchase, I was looking at a £13k hit: another Porsche myth - how they hold their value - dispelled!