Smart repairable?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
keelolo

Post by keelolo »

Managed to scratch the near side of the car at weekend. Got most of the paint back to a less obvious blemish but alas I may have to get it looked by a pro, the OCD side of me will be drawn to it every time I walk up the car

There also a few scratches on the wheels but I can live with those as living in London I’ll probably need to get them refurbished at some point other

I know the paint can probably be brought by people like Chips Away, but what about the black plastic side blades? Anyone have any experience?

In West London in case anyone can recommend a repairer.

D292AE8E-E92F-4131-A35D-FA8AF47B238F.jpeg

C55D9F4D-348D-48EA-B2D3-1D522A15B16E.jpeg

2017MY GTS - Gone

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I've had plastic parts replaced in the past on other Porsche models and they have always been reasonably priced.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Was going to say, replacing the side blades will probably be the easiest and cheapest option. You’ll struggle to get the surface back to original without painting over (looks like a GTS by the smooth finish?)
Also the scratch on the wing / arch coupled with the scuffs in the sill are probably beyond a smart repair.☹️
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Hairymongoose

Post by Hairymongoose »

I had a few similar marks removed from my Macan before resale. Was thinking of using a smart repair but someone recommended a local body shop (I was dubious). When I spoke to the body shop and said I had considered a smart repair they said they would not advise that on a car like the Macan as they can do more harm than good - although take that with a pinch of salt if you like. They offered to try to buff the marks out before committing to repainting the panel. They did four different panels for under £400. Very impressed with their work. Unfortunately in North Essex so not much help!
1st 2015 Sapphire SD *Sold*
Current 2018 Rhodium Turbo PP Exclusive
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The plastic is either a prime and paint over job or replace the parts.

What happened?
keelolo

Post by keelolo »

I’ll give the parts dept a call for replacements tomorrow - I’m not expecting it to be cheap. A paintable set on suncoast is a cool $650...

Was exiting Gunnersbury park from the car park, road is quite narrow with the same road used for entry and exit. The road gets quite busy on Saturday mornings unfortunately a discovery was coming the other way whilst I was exiting. Meant that we had to keep left as far a possible so that we could squeeze past each other, unfortunately for me there was one of those steel mesh fences on the near side. Looked like it had been trampled on and part of the wiring from the mesh stuck out far enough scrape down the side of the car as I crawled by.
2017MY GTS - Gone
keelolo

Post by keelolo »

Look after those side blade people!

Called the opc this morning - I'm glad I was sitting down...

£448 for the front
£342 for the rear panel
£55 for the GTS sticker

<gulp>
2017MY GTS - Gone
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Hi keelolo

I took my Golf GTi to a place just near Wandsworth Bridge if you're interested. They were extremely good and reasonable. They do most of the work for Mercs and VWs dinged on delivery (a few new RR there too!). They could be worth a shot. Happy to provide details if you want.
spook

Post by spook »

Might be cheaper to get the side blades plastic repaired and repaint them body colour.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Guy

Post by Guy »

Lots on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-MACA ... Sw-89ZOq7e

But if GTS ones are different availability may be reduced.