GPS position is miles out!

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
andreas

Post by andreas »

Today, my navigation system decided to locate my car many miles from its true position. Right now, I know that my Macan is parked in my drive in rural Essex, just north of Chelmsford, but my navigation system insists that it's actually in the sea, 12 miles off Clacton. After 3 phone calls to the OPC before I could actually get to speak to a service person, I'm no wiser, and they tell me they're taking bookings for late July. This isn't the Porsche dream I was sold....
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

Guy

Post by Guy »

^ That'll be the Americans increasing the GPS 'offset' as part of the trade war! :shock:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Guy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:56 pm ^ That'll be the Americans increasing the GPS 'offset' as part of the trade war! :shock:
..or our new post-brexit border😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col M

Post by Col M »

Aren't you supposed to drive the car in a figure of eight? Check you brought the right car back from the seaside!
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The long delay before your OPC can book the car in is typical of the way all marques seem to be heading.

At least with the Porsche Assist if our cars become underivable we have a loaner to use.

Again with an iPhone we have the option of using an alternative SatNav.

Then there is always the good old fashioned paper map that I carry in the seat back pocket that I can use.

So just be thankful that you do not have a Jag otherwise you would be waiting for next year for the service appointment and even then there would be no guarantee that they could fix it.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

andreas wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:01 pm Today, my navigation system decided to locate my car many miles from its true position. Right now, I know that my Macan is parked in my drive in rural Essex, just north of Chelmsford, but my navigation system insists that it's actually in the sea, 12 miles off Clacton. After 3 phone calls to the OPC before I could actually get to speak to a service person, I'm no wiser, and they tell me they're taking bookings for late July. This isn't the Porsche dream I was sold....
Perhaps try another OPC and see if they can get your car in sooner?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

This happened to the sat nav in one of my other cars a few months back, Garmin based I think and after a couple of days it sorted its self out and has never happened again.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
RAA

Post by RAA »

I always have a back-up portable sat-nav that I can use. Yes, good idea from andreas to try different Porsche Centres.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Yesterday, I turned the ignition off and on again a number of times, but each time the car decided it was in the sea. This morning, I turned it on and the location was shown correctly.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

That's exactly how mine behaved. Miles out for a day no matter how many times I turned it off and back on. Then all ok the next day and no problems since. Never did work out what happened.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50