Limp mode

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
RAA

Post by RAA »

A month or two ago, one forum member told us that he had ordered a brand-new Macan GTS, and, so after delivery the engine was found to contain metal filings. He needed a new engine, all because the manufacturer had not checked it at the factory before shipping it out to the UK.

Sounds like 'Sandy Tyres' and 'alxgb' have similarly experienced faults not checked at the factory. Disappointing. I'm now wondering if I should continue to hold out for the new, facelifted Macan S, that I ordered back in February.

alxgb

Post by alxgb »

I also had the PDK gear stick assembly come off in my hand and again, retaining clips were diagnosed as the fault. This on a 2018 GTS.

I think there will always be the occasional teething issue and when it comes to PDI, the OPC usually expects QC to have happened at the factory so they're just dealing with the formality of removing transit seals and taking the car out of transport config and checking for damage. Fairly, they expect the factory to have done their job so I expect checks are superficial at best.

I have always bought late production or end of production cars. With GT cars, I have no choice as they're always run out models but with volume production cars, I always wait till the second generation. Any issues are documented and ironed out and you have examples of specification choices, the dealer will be able to lend you a vehicle for an extended test drive and so on. That's my thinking on waiting for what it's worth.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Sandy Tyres wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 pm I had the limp mode and yellow warning message on my Macan. Tonbridge Porsche believed it was a clamp for vacuum hose in turbo system that hadn't been fully tightened at factory. It also happened to me whenever I went hard on the car. Due to me calling Porsche assistance they sorted it out without any problem and even sent AA flat bed lorry to transport it back and forth.
I wonder if this is what I had today. Drove on M62 from West Yorkshire to Chester. On return home gave the car some decent throttle on the long run up the steep section running up from Oldham up to border with Yorkshire. After a couple of minutes the yellow engine management warning light came on and car went into limp mode with reduced power. As I was not far from home I limped home. After stopping the car and leaving for a few minutes the car returned to normal. Cheap OBD reader shows a pending fault code of P0299 which looks like low turbo boost pressure. Will ask OPC if they can take a look at the car.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Sticking overbost on the turbo. Replacement the usual option especially at an OPC.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

I had the same issue it was diagnosed by the OPC as a sticking actuator. In this instance they cleaned it and replaced some seals. 6 months later and no-recurrence.