Limp mode

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Twice in a week now my car has gone into limp mode - E3 Cayenne Turbo
The car obviously has an issue as it seems to lose a handful of cylinders and is dog rough to drive. The warning message states it’s still ok to drive but surely this can’t be good?
Turning the ignition off and back on instantly cures the issue.
I had the car booked in for a separate issue today so mentioned this on hand over.
I got a call tonight saying only one of the limp modes has registered but no faults. They then proceeded to tell me the car was at 6000rpm & travelling at ***mph when the first occurred. Seems strange it had such detailed information but no reason.
They have told me they have reset the fault codes and that is that.
This will happen again. Maybe pulling out of a junction or whilst I’m in the middle of nowhere.
The car is still there as the other issue hasn’t been fixed so I am trying to decide what to do next.

All advice greatly received.

Thanks.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):

Sandy Tyres

Post by Sandy Tyres »

I had the limp mode and yellow warning message on my Macan. Tonbridge Porsche believed it was a clamp for vacuum hose in turbo system that hadn't been fully tightened at factory. It also happened to me whenever I went hard on the car. Due to me calling Porsche assistance they sorted it out without any problem and even sent AA flat bed lorry to transport it back and forth.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I had exactly the same occurance numerous times on the Jag I had.

It was never fully diagnosed but after one instance the OJC came to the conclusion that it was a problem related to the anti lock brake interface unit attached to the gearbox and it was a £1200 cost to repair but they could not guarantee that it was in fact the final solution.

So its not just a Porsche that can suffer from the limp home mode.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Smithy37. You are lucky/unlucky enough to be one of the first owners of a Series 3 Cayenne Turbo. Whilst the same engine has been available in the Panamera before, the state of tune will be different for the Cayenne. Because of this, your OPC is unlikely to have any previous experience of the faults you have. I have been in that situation with a different make of car and I know it can be extremely frustrating. Whenever we get a fault, we arrive at the dealership hoping they will say " I know what the problem is sir, just leave it with me and we'll fix it". Unfortunately life is not always like that.

I hope that your OPC is able to identify the fault with your car and you can get back to enjoying what must be some genuinely awesome machine.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Just a bit of an update.
After being told no fault codes were found & me vehemently insisting they don’t just hand the car back, they have finally found the missing fault codes.
A faulty injector has apparently called a misfire in all 8 cylinders, which would explain the misfiring I experienced.
Unfortunately as this is a new engine, there are no spare parts in stock. Porsche apparently have them on back order. So it’s stuck at the dealership & I am in a 2.0 Macan for the forseable future. I have asked to be swapped into a 911, so wish me luck. :mrgreen:
Frustrating but at least I feel I’m getting somewhere.
Taycan Turbo S

Col M

Post by Col M »

Before you take up a 911 be ready for £1000 first loss you may be liable for (I got stung for £500 for an unrepairable screen chip with a Cayenne)
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

smithy37 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:26 pm After being told no fault codes were found & me vehemently insisting they don’t just hand the car back, they have finally found the missing fault codes.
How can there be no fault code then it mysteriously appears? Were they lying to you or were they being incompetent? Difficult to think of any alternative explanation
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ian.g wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 pm Were they lying to you or were they being incompetent? Difficult to think of any alternative explanation
If they were lying then surely they would have made up a fault that could have been 'fixed' a bit more quickly. It is very annoying not being able to trust such a premium brand.
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Guy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:54 pm
Ian.g wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 pm Were they lying to you or were they being incompetent? Difficult to think of any alternative explanation
If they were lying then surely they would have made up a fault that could have been 'fixed' a bit more quickly. It is very annoying not being able to trust such a premium brand.
I’m not suggesting they were lying, but thought it odd they could tell me date, time & speed I was travelling at when the car went into limp mode, but not the cause. The car was horrendous in limp mode & I thought I’d lost a handful of cylinders & the timing was out. What was frustrating was they said they had cleared all the fault codes & as I may have been travelling too fast, they couldn’t replicate the issue.
Once I started to kick up a stink that this would happen again they agreed to investigate further. It is then I had the injector diagnosis. How could they know this if the faults had been cleared? I genuinely think my car is too new for them & maybe the diagnostic tools are different.

We’ll see how we get on.

Ps
I’ve seen the excess is steep on the loaners. Literally using this to get from A to B. If I’d take.ln it back to the OPC I bought it from I might have gotten a better car. As the fault was so serious I elected to take it to my nearest dealer. Plus my SE never responded to my initial email when the fault first occurred, which I find majorly disappointing.
Taycan Turbo S

alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Sandy Tyres wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 pm I had the limp mode and yellow warning message on my Macan. Tonbridge Porsche believed it was a clamp for vacuum hose in turbo system that hadn't been fully tightened at factory. It also happened to me whenever I went hard on the car. Due to me calling Porsche assistance they sorted it out without any problem and even sent AA flat bed lorry to transport it back and forth.
I literally had the same problem a week ago. The retaining clamp was missing. A complete pain in the ass and it left me a sitting duck pulling on to the A14 from a short run on. No explanation as to why it wasn't there and due to its position, an underbody impact or anything like that was ruled out.