Windscreen replacement

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

So i heard a bang and then the cracks started
Now its new windscreen time
I must admit i did not know i had lane departure in spec (must be standard)
Autoglass cant give me a date at all
Phoned porsche hatfeild the supplying dealer who told me at least 2 weeks (when i eventually got them to answer the phone)
Then tryed reading opc great service they emailed me a quote and i sat down
To replace the windscreen includind vat was going to be £2148.59
The recalibration and fitting was £1202.50 plus vat

Col M

Post by Col M »

So who's your insurer that doesn't cover screen replacement? Not sure what the "and fitting" part of the recalibration bill is. But I'm sure the recalibration is £400 used to be £160 but now automatically includes a wheel alignment check/realign.

I've only owned a Macan since November but I am on my 3rd windscreen! :?
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I had a windscreen replaced last year after only 1 month of ownership. Total cost was £1173.16 which included fitting, recalibrating any built in cameras and a Panamera for the day. I don't have surround cameras but they did the standard lane departure one and the 4 wheel alignment which is part of it. Done at Porsche Tewkesbury. I am not sure how Reading have come out with a quote of >£3500. Give them a ring in Tewkesbury and have a day out!
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I personally would not deal with Reading. A recent experience there has put me right off them.

Plus they openly admit they are not the cheapest of OPC's.
andreas

Post by andreas »

My windscreen cracked badly following a stone chip in June. As the car was only 6 months old, I asked NFU Insurance whether I could get the OPC to replace it, rather than their preferred Autoglass. NFU said fine, get it fixed, pay for it and send us the bill. The OPC replaced the screen for £1070 inc re-calibration, etc.

I got a stone chip 2 weeks later, and Autoglass (via NFU) arrived 2 hours later and repaired it.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

think you will find OPC only bring in auto glass or similar to do the job.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

The OPC did get a fitter in - they didn't do it themselves. It does guarantee a genuine Porsche screen rather than one made by someone else. There was someone on here (I forget who) who had some trouble with one of the large companies who broke the clips that hold the mirror on and stuck it back with tape or glue. When challenged, they said that the clips often break so policy is to glue or tape it back together.
Col M

Post by Col M »

Ian.g wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:31 pm The OPC did get a fitter in - they didn't do it themselves. It does guarantee a genuine Porsche screen rather than one made by someone else. There was someone on here (I forget who) who had some trouble with one of the large companies who broke the clips that hold the mirror on and stuck it back with tape or glue. When challenged, they said that the clips often break so policy is to glue or tape it back together.
That was my introduction to Macan ownership

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1968&start=40

Another thing I did find was with Admiral once the car passed 3 years they wouldn't replace with an original manufacturer screen
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Years ago I had an issue with BMW. They wouldn’t fix my rain sensor because it wasn’t a BMW screen.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Crawford

Post by Crawford »

Just had mine replaced at Porsche Cambridge last week ,they sub the windscreen installation out but have it done in their garage , total cost including callebration was £1395 including Vat.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHLKU4L5