Windscreen replacement

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Guy

Post by Guy »

Anyone with time on their hands may find this interesting! I haven't watched it all, but it is amazing how much work is involved in a windscreen replacement!

Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

My windscreen chipped in November. Autoglass repaired extremely efficiently under my Admiral Insurance. Now the sun is out and hits the glass at certain angles it reveals tiny bubbles or perhaps better described as tiny random sprinkles of dust all over the screen. The effect quickly vanishes with small direction/angle of the sun changes.

Autoglass said they had put in FUYAO glass claiming it was the same manufacturer Porsche used and offered to switch it over as it was faulty for free and within a few days. I was not happy about using the same maker so they offered me an alternative made by Pilkington.

Uncertain which to choose so I rang Porsche West London and they tell me that the original glass is in fact made by St Gobain and costs £537 inc VAT unfitted.

I am now asking Autoglass to replace it with the St Gobain. I will let you know the outcome. The insurer might not be happy.

HAZARD WARNING for those with cracked glass on a Macan GTS (with on screen cameras etc) - might want to check manufacturer being used by repairer before getting replacements.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

a word of warning, check the centre consul is fixed back correctly after the screen has been fitted, I had mine done and the animals just pulled it down bent all the spring clips, so it kept falling down until new clips put in.