Rusty clip

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

I bought my beloved Macan SD new in December 2015. I am surprised to see this rust on the clips at the top of the hydraulic cylinders at each side of the tailgate. Can I please get an opinion about whether or not Porsche would replace the little rusty clips under warranty? I guess Porsche could say they are still doing their job which would be correct but I don't think a car of this quality should have rust like this.

P1010050.JPG

Guy

Post by Guy »

Definitely ask for the clips to be replaced. You probably need to do this before the initial 3 year warranty expires, because further warranty extensions do not cover 'cosmetic' items, hence they may argue that it is functional despite the rust.

My SD was new in Sep 15, and here's what mine look like:

IMG_2143.JPG

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Is everything here a warranty issue?! It looks like plain old surface rust. Your brakes get surface rust too. You don't replace them when that happens! A bit of friction cleans that up. So...grab a wire brush and go at it. Better still, when you get it washed next time, go to a detailer and ask them to do it.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Thanks for your replies. Your clips Guy certainly look in better shape than mine. I think I may as well ask Porsche the question though. Nothing to lose. Regarding brake discs, I would say there is one difference in that the discs are by necessity bare steel whereas these clips are not. Guy's photo shows what they should look like with the correct protection applied.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I’m sure someone else posted recently about this and that they weren’t available separately. Personally I’d be unclipping them (if possible), rubbing them down and given them a quick coat of Hammerite satin.....
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

mmm yes I wonder if they will unclip? I would not want to wire brush with them insitu as it would be difficult to avoid scratching the black plastic/metal surfaces adjacent to the clips and also it would be impossible to reach all surfaces as some is hidden behind.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Wasn’t there a post a while back from someone who had a similar issue with the clip on the rear seat bases?

I would not be happy if my clips, which are inside the car after all, were showing surface rust like this.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

It seems that this is also a problem in the States: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/appear ... umber.html
steve w

Post by steve w »

I’d go and see the OPC shouldn’t get rust on the clip like that ,if it means them changing the struts then so be it,
SteveW
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

ive got one too. just the left side...