Macan GTS side blades peeling off?!

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Ikonic

Post by Ikonic »

Hi all

Did a quick search but only came across how- to’s relating taking off the black side blades on a GTS.

Has anyone had any issues with the side blades (which appears to be a black wrap) peeling off? Ours has disintegrated on the drivers side door to the point the paint is showing through.

Has anyone had any luck through claiming through warranty.? Feels like it’s something they’ll claim we’ve damaged but aside from jet washing occasionally I can’t think of what else will have caused this.

Feels like the ‘wrap’ they use isn’t fit for purpose if it’s this bad on a 2 year old car!

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Pictures?
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Ikonic

Post by Ikonic »

Hi Nosmo

Quick pic as below:

Quite keen to find out if the GTS side blades are supposed to be “wrapped” or if they should be genuine black plastic as would possibly indicate a dodgy repair earlier in the car’s life perhaps?
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Even if they were wrapped in someway they are definitely not going to be body covered underneath. It looks like the car was supplied with body coloured sideblades and a previous owner had them covered? Do you have the original spec code / sheet?
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Looks like pressure washer damage. I'm with CharlesElliott on this. I'd revert back to body colour and have the wrap removed.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Ikonic

Post by Ikonic »

Hmmm... we bought the car from new (factory order) with black side blades.

However, a detail I didn’t mention (to be honest i’d Forgot but now thinking about it tallies up with the door panel in question)..... The car was involved in a minor accident about 18 months ago where someone drove into the side of the car.

It was fixed at a Porsche approved repairer where the other party’s insurer paid out in full. The door was replaced I believe, but evidently they just decided to spray thit whole door and wrap that particular side so ripping off the wrap isn’t going to work as it won’t match the rest of the car.

Given the length of time after the repair, am I going to have a leg to stand on here with the repairer?

Clearly it seems as though it hasn’t been repaired in line with the factory, a bodge if I’m being unkind (although i think the quality of the paint repair for example is excellent).

All a bit frustrating really since I thought the insurer had repaired the car pretty much perfect.

So are people saying that on their own GTS it’s just unpainted or is there meant to be a specific plastic trim for that area? If it’s a panel that can be removed might be a case of swapping out the painted panel for a black one?
Towser

Post by Towser »

I believe it’s a plastic panel that can be swapped out.
GTS Collected Jan 2017! http://www.porsche-code.com/PHK34WL9
keelolo

Post by keelolo »

I know from bitter experience that these blades are painted black from the factory. I had an unfortunate incident where I scratched the two near side blades. Thinking that they were just black plastic I called the OPC to see about getting some replacements - they were an eye watering amount (hundreds of pounds).

The reason (!) is that the GTS blades come primed ready for painting, if they were the dimpled ones that you get on the S then these are much cheaper as the really are plain black plastic.

In the end I had mine sanded, resprayed and then coated in Matt lacquer by the local body shop for about £150. Looks just like the other side so (fingers crossed) it stays like that.

Yours look like the black paint has peeled down to the primer maybe due to poor repaint/adhesion and the jet washer getting too close?

If you have to get the front blade repainted then you might need to replace the GTS sticker to get even finish - that sticker is super expensive!
2017MY GTS - Gone
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

That's a good point - is the paint you can see underneath the body colour or primer?
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Ikonic

Post by Ikonic »

Thanks guys.

It is actually paint rather than primer beneath and i’m Pretty certain it’s a wrap they’ve used.

Seems like the repairing body shop have taken a shortcut of wrapping in Matte black wrap rather than repainting separately.

Will probably have a word with them tomorrow to discuss and see where it gets me especially seeing as it’s not a simple case of rewrapping but needing to purchase a GTS sticker too!