How To : Rear Bumper Removal

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

Done this twice now. Once to add a towbar, and once more to remove it (to put on an additional 2 years warranty on... :x )

First of all thanks to windblow on the macanforum for a good simple write up that is mostly spot on.

I thought I would add pictures and amend the description slightly to add clarity.

Steps 1 and 2 : remove the plastic covers inside the lights and remove the 2xT25 screws and 2xT30 bolts. Note the large number depict Steps, the small numbers depict the number of screws each side (or total for the diffuser - see later).

The cover is located on the tail lights with 2 small clips - shown in white. The top one is taken off by pulling the shield upwards. I think the bottom one is downwards but is harder to dislocate. You can however pull the unit out by rotating outwards from the inside as depicted by the red arrows. It can be a bit tight but should come out without damaging the little clips.

Now remove the one torx screw T25 from each side underneath the cover at the top of the bumper (1) then remove the bumper stop bolts (2) and take out the bump stops.

Step 3: Wheel felt liner screws. There are 4x T25 screws each side. Take them out and pull / loosen the felt liner so you can access 4 more that hold the bumper to the body.

Step 4 : 4 more T25 screws inside the felt liner. There is one at the top in a vertical plane, two in the middle of the wheel well on a horizontal plane and 1 at the bottom also on a horizontal plane. All the horizontal screws are a couple of inches back from the liner so you'll have to feel for them or get a good light in there.

here's the one at the bottom:

and the location of the one at the top (once the bumper is released...)

Step 5 : Remove the two screws under the bottom holding the diffuser.

Step 6 : Removal. Pull outwards at the wheel. Start at the bottom to make sure the bumper clears the wheel liner then move to the top and pull outwards. You will find there are two clips a few inches along the bumper top as depicted below. A plastic tool should ease them.

Then, making sure nothing has slipped back to snag on anything, you should be able to pull the bumper. Note the electric connectors are at the right side. You can disconnect one of them to give you a bit more room.

From long experience in having a few screws left over, I bag the screws up at each section and note them to make sure I know which ones go back where.

When reassembling, make sure the electrical cables go back correctly or the bumper will not sit right.

I also added a towbar - maybe write that up another day though...

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great guide and photos .......but hopefully I will never need it 😜😜😜
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Could do with a towbar on mine, but not sure I have the confidence to attempt that? I assume it is a 2 hander to refit?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Wow...I wouldn't do that even if I was told there was stolen gold lining the inside of my bumper! That's def a bodyshop job for me. You have some confidence!
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

nsm3 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 am Could do with a towbar on mine, but not sure I have the confidence to attempt that? I assume it is a 2 hander to refit?
2 hands but only one man. Its pretty light and clips on much easier than a 997 (my only other frame of reference)
steve w

Post by steve w »

Get a sweat on just looking at that .
Brave Man.
SteveW
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

When youve had your hands up n dirty in a 911 engine bay theres little fear left
pwarb

Post by pwarb »

Many thanks for the excellent guide. I need to remove the "spoiler" from the bottom of the rear bumper cover (the black plastic part which is attached to the lower edge of the painted bumper cover). Do you know if the spoiler can be removed with the bumper cover still attached to the car or does the bumper cover need to be removed first?
elveez

Post by elveez »

Thanks for this! I will attempt this soon since I am planning to add the stainless skid plates.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

so why will Porsche charge hundreds of pounds to take it off !!!