Battery conditioner/charger

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

If using the cigarette socket is it ok taking the cable in the door and closing the door on it.

putt4par

Post by putt4par »

steve w wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:42 pm MCDK
I purchased a Porsche battery conditioning charger ,it’s a C-Tek badged up as Porsche,you can plug these into the cigarette lighter and just leave them indefinitely would definitely recommend if you aren’t going to use your Porsche for a few weeks especially now that the winter is coming on .
SteveW
Hi,
Does the cigarette lighter switch off with ignition or remain usable with ignition off? I know on previous cars this was the case so could not use for charger.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

One to look at is the Airflow. I have one on my 968, the same unit for over 20 years. Its left attached for more than 6 months at a time. I wired it with the connectors to the battery, and then use the two pin multi plug, to connect/disconnect. It works brilliantly. I hook it onto the passenger door window, leaving it 1/4 inch open. I use a second one on the Macan, but this time using the crockodile clips on the jump start posts under the bonnet, near to the n/s windscreen corner. Again workis brilliantly.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I too use the jump start connectors under the bonnet. I simply don't trust the 'lighter socket' to be a reliable connection - I've have problems in the past with accessory plugs becoming hot while in use, which suggests a dodgy (sparking?) electrical contact.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Ordered the Ctek charger from Amazon and an extension lead as it was only a few more quid. Total about £80 so got to be worth it to avoid the flat battery anxiety and a battery is never the same again after it has run down.
steve w

Post by steve w »

Putt4Par
The Porsche battery conditioner instructions say that it can be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and left indefinitely,it doesn’t get hot as it sends a pulse of power and not a continue flow ,I have left mine plugged in for 6 weeks with no issues,personally as it’s in the garage I leave the window open just enough for the cable to go through.
SteveW
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

steve w wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:00 pm Putt4Par
The Porsche battery conditioner instructions say that it can be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket and left indefinitely,it doesn’t get hot as it sends a pulse of power and not a continue flow ,I have left mine plugged in for 6 weeks with no issues,personally as it’s in the garage I leave the window open just enough for the cable to go through.
SteveW
Hi Steve, thanks very useful information.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The Amazon package arrived yesterday and all connected up tonight so it's sitting quite happily connected. Seems a decent bit of kit. Bought the extension leads which were only another £12 but gives more options to route cable. Also just went for the under bonnet crocodile connectors rather than cigarette lighter as don't really want to be leaving the window down a bit as that leaves marks on the glass lol.
Paul

Post by Paul »

...but back to the OP, I simply drive mine most days. Yes it gets dirty, but I enjoy driving......AND I don’t need to fork out for a battery charger 😂😂
(just a power washer, soap, hundreds of micro fiber cloths, polish, wax lotions and potions😊)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Yes I have all the lotions and potions too and my car is two years old but as immaculate as the day it left the showroom and that's exactly the way I like it. A car driven every day with 2 or 3 times my mileage will never be in the same condition.