Battery conditioner/charger

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I don't use my Macan everyday or even every week when the weather turns bad as I'm a but anal about keeping it spotless. It can go 2, 3 or even 4 weeks unused sitting in a well heated garage. The battery has always been fine no matter how long it's left but just wondered whether I should have some kind of battery conditioner hooked up to avoid me getting to the stage where I feel I really need to take it out even if I'm not wanting to due to weather. Sounds a bit sad I know.

Anyone any experience or recommendation for a conditioner and even whether I need one. My mate has a Macan and if his is parked for 2 weeks he has battery issues so it seems I'm pretty lucky although a bit factor is that when I take mine out it will do maybe 20 or 30 miles at A road speeds so the battery gets a good charge. My mate is more likely just nipping around town therefore hammering the battery on his short trips.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

All cars need to be used regularly to keep them at their best. You say 'heated garage', but it is more important for it to be well ventilated. Heating can accelerate corrosion.

Your car should be fine for two or three weeks, even four weeks if the battery is in good condition, especially as you then take it out for a good run. You may get a low battery message when you switch on the ignition but as long as the voltage is around 11.0 volts or more it should start OK.

There have been threads on here in the past regarding battery conditioners. I have an Accumate Pro charger which is suitable for pretty much any type of vehicle battery. Others are available, just check suitability for AGM batteries.

See http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/201 ... 14/70/page.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

The CTEK 5A MXS5 seems to get good reviews on the Mercedes forum I frequent. I’m thinking of getting once since my last budget one broke last winter when I dropped it!
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Ctek also carry a great range of "Smart chargers" which only charge when the battery needs it, CTEK mxs 5 or above seems to fit the bill, have used one previously and can only praise their ability.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pop into your local dealership and take a sneaky view of what they have got hooked up to every new car on display in the showroom (the black small cigar like thing with a couple of LED lights winking away at you, hooked over one of the wiper blades)
That’s what Porsche mandate.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Paul wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:34 pm Pop into your local dealership and take a sneaky view of what they have got hooked up to every new car on display in the showroom (the black small cigar like thing with a couple of LED lights winking away at you, hooked over one of the wiper blades)
That’s what Porsche mandate.....
Hi, do you know what charger this?
Guy

Post by Guy »

putt4par wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:40 pm Hi, do you know what charger this?
Apparently the Porsche ones are re-badged CTEKs.

I left mine (at a constant 15 degrees C) for three months once and it started fine - the voltage was down at 10.8V.

Nowadays, as the battery is clearly older, if it's going to be in the garage for more than about a week I connect it to one of these:

Highly recommended! My motorcycle batteries are now lasting longer too!
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Do these plug onto the battery or into the cigarette lighter socket? Also is the cable long enough to reach a plug, I see you can buy an extension cable.

Wouldn't really want to use it with an extension reel as they can heat up if the cable is on the reel.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

MCDK wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 pm Do these plug onto the battery or into the cigarette lighter socket? Also is the cable long enough to reach a plug, I see you can buy an extension cable.

Wouldn't really want to use it with an extension reel as they can heat up if the cable is on the reel.
I got given a Porsche one when I bought a second hand Boxster a few years ago. It has quite a long cables both from the charger to the three pin plug and to the cigarette socket plug, as much as ten feet on each. I haven't tried it on the 911 yet as it doesnt have a lighter socket anywhere, just USBs. I did see an extension cable with crocodiles on one end and cig socket on the other in the Belfast showroom the last day I was in so am considering one of those to hook directly to the battery. No need yet as the 911 is still getting an odd run, even had it out in the rain this morning :shock: but will probably buy the extension, less than £20, the next time, in case snow stops play.
With the little current a conditioner draws I don't see reeled cable heating at all.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
steve w

Post by steve w »

MCDK
I purchased a Porsche battery conditioning charger ,it’s a C-Tek badged up as Porsche,you can plug these into the cigarette lighter and just leave them indefinitely would definitely recommend if you aren’t going to use your Porsche for a few weeks especially now that the winter is coming on .
SteveW