Macan Diesel EGT Valve

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
monkeyrs6

Post by monkeyrs6 »

Hi there post from a forum Newbi. I have had a 2015 Macan Diesel for two months and having nightmare problems with the Diesel Particulate filter. One garage mentioned it could be a Faulty exhaust gas recirculation valve. I have searched google but can find no mention of one. Do not want to look stupid bud does the diesel Macan Have one.. Tim

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Hi Newbie. What problems are you experiencing ? Any warranty remaining ?
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
monkeyrs6

Post by monkeyrs6 »

After having car for three weeks which included a couple of 200 mile trips, i got Replace particular filter warning. After searching this sight i took the car for a blast up the motorway, this cleared the warning but over the next six weeks i got the message another two times and repeated my motorway blast. This week the car did it again but this time went into limp mode with the engine warning light and swirly coil light on. A dpf cleaner in Wakefield said the filter would need removing and deep cleaning as regenerating was not working. He also mentioned that the EGT valve may be faulty..Tim Leeds
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Take the car back to your dealer, I presume that you will have been given at least a three month warranty when you bought it.

If not then Leeds Porsche is your next stop.

They will be able to implement a regen in their workshop, any other problem will be diagnosed by them.

Do search the DPF thread here, it does go on and on unfortunately.

The SD does not like short journeys and needs 2000rpm for at least 20 minutes to enable the regen to complete but there is no guarantee that regen will initiate when you want it too.

There is no logic to SDs having DPF issues, most are fine, some are not, a very few are a nightmare and Porsche have had to swap the car.

It is a pity you did not come here before you bought as I for one would have said forget an SD it simply is not worth the risk buying one imho that is.

If all else fails and you still have issues trade it in.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Welcome Monkey RS6.

The SD is a fabulous Macan. It's the pick of the range in most auto magazine reviews. Fast, dynamic and relatively economic - particularly compared to the petrol engined Macans.

Do you use premium grade fuel? like BP Ultimate. In my experience it's well worth it.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome Tim, sorry to hear of your woes.

Have a good look through this thread, it may answer many of your queries (and yes, the Macan will gave an EGR valve)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6168&hilit=DPF+filter

The SD is (was) a fine machine with a good balance of performance and economy but the “fuel of the devil” gets more that its’ fair share of detractors on here😉

A forced re-gen by the dealership may now be your final option but don’t forget that “a blast up the motorway” needs to be very specifically at constantly over 2000 rpm for 20 mins with 1/2 tank of fuel (and premium fuel is good advice too.)

Keep us posted.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
monkeyrs6

Post by monkeyrs6 »

I have read all the threads and it does not read good. And yes my motorway trips have been for 20 miles at 2500 reves with full tank. Will the forced regeneration be any better and at what stage does the filter need to come off for a clean as the warning said Repace Filter. I read so many glowing reviews of the car before i bought it and none mentioned driving style or the dreaded filter. I read some where that the car has to be in regeneration mode to make the motorway blast worth while, is this true ?? Tim
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Suggest that you call Porsche customer services at Reading HQ to find out the history of the car and see what software version of the DME is recorded. There is a recent software upgrade which might need installing. The latest version is AJ07.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Heaven forbid that this is one of the SDs that has a known history of DPF faults and it has somehow found its way back into the market after being bought back by Porsche UK.

It may well be one that a previous owner has got fed up with the issues and simply traded it in.

So be pedantic, find out its history and of any buy back.

Another point, what is your driving profile, eg short stop/start journeys with very infrequent high speed journeys?

What I am getting at is the dealer who sold you the SD should have had due diligence and checked on your driving profile before selling you the car. DPF issues are a known problem for a Macan SD, it is not a minor issue affecting a few cars, it has affected far more numbers than it should have.

So if the dealer did not peform with due diligence then you have a case for a full refund.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

monkeyrs6 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:43 pm I have read all the threads and it does not read good. And yes my motorway trips have been for 20 miles at 2500 reves with full tank. Will the forced regeneration be any better and at what stage does the filter need to come off for a clean as the warning said Repace Filter. I read so many glowing reviews of the car before i bought it and none mentioned driving style or the dreaded filter. I read some where that the car has to be in regeneration mode to make the motorway blast worth while, is this true ?? Tim
(20 minutes not 20 miles, although at 2500 rpm you’ll be in manual and in 3rd / 4th so probably amounts to the same thing)

Full forced regen is done at the dealership using their diagnostic equipment and should reduce the soot down to near zero. You won’t get a Porsche dealership to remove and clean a dpf; they’ll want to replace it.

Yes, the car does need to be in regen mode - driving it hard and hot won’t do any harm but the system won’t be in regen mode unless the light us on the dash.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465