2019 Macan Rear View Camera

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

I recently changed my 2016 Macan GTS to a new 2019 Macan and I guess like all of you with the Surround View or Rear Camera option had found that once the car has been driven in wet weather, the lens becomes obscured and the Rear Camera all but useless, especially in the dark.

Well, almost 2 weeks into ownership of my 2019 Macan, I can report that Porsche have improved it considerably, there is now a small washer jet which activates with the rear window wash/wipe and directs a jet of water at the camera lens. Also with Surround View the courtesy lights in the door mirrors turn on at night to illuminate the side view.

I have also found that although the tailgate still gets dirty I think the horizontal light bar has now changed the airflow such that less muck and crud is sprayed up onto the tailgate and window.

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

That's good to hear, there's probably other improvements that have not been publicised.

Enjoy your new motor! 😎
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Sounds like they have listened to customer [and dealership] feed back and partly addressed the dirty camera lens issue. The real fix would be to reposition the lens away from the muck flow. For example on the top of the rear roof. I believe this is where it's positioned on the 2019 Evoque.

Have you found any other improvements on the new model?

How are you getting on with the performance of your new Macan compared to your previous GTS?

Enjoy your new ride!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
dragoshsd

Post by dragoshsd »

Could you please take a photo of the PCM with the surround camera activated? I'm curious if it's significantly better. On my first-gen Macan it's almost useless in tight spots.
andreas

Post by andreas »

adrian991 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:16 am Also with Surround View the courtesy lights in the door mirrors turn on at night to illuminate the side view.
That sounds like a sensible idea; I wonder why they didn't do that with the previous version? Wonder whether the software could be updated to activate this feature?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

dragoshsd wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:51 pm Could you please take a photo of the PCM with the surround camera activated? I'm curious if it's significantly better. On my first-gen Macan it's almost useless in tight spots.
Sorry but tried it and photos don't really come out properly as I get reflections from the screen and it's not the way to evaluate it, go to an OPC they should all have fully loaded new Macan's for demo and see for your self how it compares.
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Is the reversing light still practically useless?
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015