Transfer box - Survey of members

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

B737NGWS wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am Macan S Petrol - March 2016 - 7000miles no issues.
Booked in end Feb for MOT and 111point check to renew Porsche Approved Warranty. Given the issues raised here I will 'bite the bullet' and extend warranty at £1440 for 2 years in anticipation of future transfer box issues!
Has it been accepted that this is due to water ingress and if so can Porsche not recommend some kind of retrofit 'device' to help prevent water ingress?
Mine's the same age and I had mine replaced last November @39k. I've got the additional 2 years warranty in case the second one fails. I was told by the OPC that it's a £3k job so i'd rather pay than take the risk as i've read hear of some failing a second time.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6

marcusjames

Post by marcusjames »

On-Track wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 pm Forum members are more likely to recognise problems with the transfer box because it is well publicised on this site. Just because you have a 50% failure rate on a small sample size doesn't give any indication of how many failures might have occurred on the 16k total UK Macan population.
Yep, I understand that. There is always going to be an element of people posting with problems, and fewer post from people "complaining" that their car is great. That said, even on a very small sample, my perception was that it would be around 15-20% impacted.
Paul

Post by Paul »

☹️
To correct my previous...Transfer box being replaced under warranty as we speak.

28 months and 24 000 miles.

Worsening symptoms over the last 12 months or so of inner rear wheel skipping under acceleration on hardish lock, “flaring up” of revs for a split second before the drive takes up, harsher changes in normal driving (as if sport + is engaged) - all of these worse when cold.
The senior tech who drove it said it was not particularly bad and was surprised I had complained 😊, but that it warranted changing.

He also confirmed the “mod” as being a re-routing / modified breather pipe to prevent water ingress.

Also having the bottom uj on th3 steering column changed to cure the occasional creak when manouevering (Macan technical bulletin exists for this)

PS, for those who want to experience the Ackerman / reverse ackerman effect on the front wheels, the Boxster S Ioan car I am in on 20 s (or possibly 21 s) demonstrates it admirably!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Paul wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:19 pm ☹️
To correct my previous...Transfer box being replaced under warranty as we speak.

Worsening symptoms over the last 12 months or so of inner rear wheel skipping under acceleration on hardish lock, “flaring up” of revs for a split second before the drive takes up, harsher changes in normal driving (as if sport + is engaged) - all of these worse when cold.
The senior tech who drove it said it was not particularly bad and was surprised I had complained 😊, but that it warranted changing.

He also confirmed the “mod” as being a re-routing / modified breather pipe to prevent water ingress.

Also having the bottom uj on th3 steering column changed to cure the occasional creak when manouevering (Macan technical bulletin exists for this)

PS, for those who want to experience the Ackerman / reverse ackerman effect on the front wheels, the Boxster S Ioan car I am in on 20 s (or possibly 21 s) demonstrates it admirably!
When you get it back reset the PDK. Made a difference for me.

Had this Cayman S for a while and what a fab drive but the Ackerman effect I could not live with. Only thing worse that I have driven is the Merc GLC which was undrivable imo. When the wife drove it she thought she had broken the car 🙄.

6DC417A7-C30D-4BE9-8F33-A85DBB7DE6A1.jpeg

GTS 😀
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:17 pm
Paul wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:19 pm ☹️

When you get it back reset the PDK. Made a difference for me.

Had this Cayman S for a while and what a fab drive but the Ackerman effect I could not live with. Only thing worse that I have driven is the Merc GLC which was undrivable imo. When the wife drove it she thought she had broken the car 🙄.

6DC417A7-C30D-4BE9-8F33-A85DBB7DE6A1.jpeg
I do agree with you though on those rims and tyres. Worse on summer tyres. Night and day difference with winters on.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
BilltheBairn

Post by BilltheBairn »

just bought a 2104 Macan S Diesel. 35,ooo miles and transfer box is original
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

BilltheBairn wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:31 am just bought a 2104 Macan S Diesel. 35,ooo miles and transfer box is original
Good luck, and welcome to the club.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

2104? Is the Limited Edition Tardis version?

;)
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Guy

Post by Guy »

Out of interest, here's a quick scatterplot of the failures mentioned so far. I haven't double checked it so apologies for any errors :D

Transfer Box Failures.jpg

TonyZed

Post by TonyZed »

BilltheBairn wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:31 am just bought a 2104 Macan S Diesel. 35,ooo miles and transfer box is original
Surely no diesels then, although I'm sure the transfer box issue will have been sorted by then! :D

I too have a 2014 S Diesel with 63,000 on the clock although I bought it with 58k on the clock so I don't know if it has had a transfer box problem before that. I am taking it in to Portsmouth Porsche in a few days as it is displaying the problem especially when cold when I turn hard right or left out of my drive. They assure me that the can tell whether it is Ackerman or box problem. We'll see and I'll update then.

TonyZ