Transfer box - Survey of members

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Guy

Post by Guy »

goron59 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:14 pm OK, cool, though I it doesn't cover people who didn't have a problem, doesn't show MY of car. Still good though - thanks.
It was tricky enough to work out age and mileage with some people's thread inputs! I chiefly did it to try and prove/disprove my previously expressed theory that failure was age- rather than mileage-based, but I think the jury's still out.

Perhaps we can surmise that the transfer box 'usually' fails after the 12 month point and irrespective of mileage. The second failures maybe statistically irrelevant, and potentially due to poor replacement/modification.

Given that it is reportedly a 'breather vent' issue, a more comprehensive analysis would look at how the car was used, stored, washed (jet-wash?), garaged, etc. Porsche themselves would be well placed to gather this data but I doubt that they care as long as it lasts the initial warranty period with just one replacement, and furthermore encourages the gullible owner (me!) to take out a lucrative extended warranty.
Last edited by Guy on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

tigertrout

Post by tigertrout »

My macan was in Reading opc for them to check the transfer box and they couldnt find anything wrong even though it is hoping and skipping on full lock.It was put down to tyre set up. I have just tried as someone suggested by putting in off road on full lock. On the flat not to much hopping but on an incline its terrable,just like going over speed humps.
Guy

Post by Guy »

DaveMacan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 am can’t understand why a TB needs a breather pipe in the first place if that is indeed the cause.
Because if you have fluids (gas and/or liquid) exposed to temperature increase (as the transmission works harder) then they will either expand or increase in pressure. This pressure increase need to be relieved, hence the breather in what otherwise would be a 'fixed volume' transfer box.
Guy

Post by Guy »

tigertrout wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 pm My macan was in Reading opc for them to check the transfer box and they couldnt find anything wrong even though it is hoping and skipping on full lock.It was put down to tyre set up. I have just tried as someone suggested by putting in off road on full lock. On the flat not to much hopping but on an incline its terrable,just like going over speed humps.
My transfer box failure was detected during 'normal' driving. When pulling away from a standstill on the flat, with wheels straight, I noticed a knock that felt like going over a pothole or ridge on the road. Mine only happened when the engine was warm.
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

tigertrout wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 pm My macan was in Reading opc for them to check the transfer box and they couldnt find anything wrong even though it is hoping and skipping on full lock.It was put down to tyre set up. I have just tried as someone suggested by putting in off road on full lock. On the flat not to much hopping but on an incline its terrable,just like going over speed humps.
Take it to another OPC - it's goosed, I had the same with Chester OPC, took it to Bolton and they knew instantly it was a transfer box issue :oops: :evil:
alondon1

Post by alondon1 »

I thought that I would add details of my problems with the transfer box. Had a new box fitted this week. Macan turbo. 38 months old-29500 miles. Hopes this helps others.
Paul

Post by Paul »

alondon1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:30 pm I thought that I would add details of my problems with the transfer box. Had a new box fitted this week. Macan turbo. 38 months old-29500 miles. Hopes this helps others.
Out of interest, at 38 months did you get any goodwill from Porsche or did you stump up for the whole bill? (and if you don’t mind sharing, how much?)

(Oh, and welcome!😁😁)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
alondon1

Post by alondon1 »

I did not pay for the repacement.I am not entirelly sure how the cost was covered, having read some of the earlier posts. I bought the vehicle second hand about eight months ago and so I understand that it was dealt with under warranty.
Angling Mad

Post by Angling Mad »

SD - March 2016 - 22K miles

Last few months noticed a slight clutch slippy type feel at low speed but then gone. when I took it in to have a 111 point pre extension warranty check they said the transfer had started failing. Being replaced as we speak with the latest upgraded version which they say will not now be a problem.
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

I've owned my OPC approved used 2017 Macan 2.0 4 weeks, shortly after purchase I noticed a minor thump during some gear changes and an occasional rumble during tight turns at road junctions. The OPC test drove my Macan on 2 accessions both hot and cold simulating all the forward and reverse manoeuvres recognised to highlight a transfer box issue, first time nothing of any concern was heard. I then had to return the Macan again for replacement pan roof seals under warranty and asked them to test drive it a second time which they did and this time they experienced the reported rumble and immediately informed me the transfer box would also be replaced under warranty, which took place last week. I asked if the transfer box had been been modified given the number of failures to be informed the part number 95B.341.010.AX from the repair paperwork I have is the latest revision transfer box.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold