Transfer box - Survey of members

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Deleted User 3074

Post by Deleted User 3074 »

Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply much appreciated

They should pick up all the costs as they know the problems exists, then again as you have asked maybe members have been reimbursed everything and maybe some have to pay a small fee. It would be good to know if a survey was produced on this very important subject.

John

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ There's a clue in the title of this post.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 3074

Hi Nick

I meant a graph !
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Robbo 4444 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:03 am Hi Nick

I meant a graph !
Ah, yes. I agree this is a key topic of interest to all us Macan owners and so collation and presentation of data is ever helpful. All credit to marcusjames for starting this thread. If you haven't scrolled through yet may I suggest you do as IIRC a couple of members have had boxes replaced out of warranty.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 3074

Hi Nick

Thanks for that info I will have a look

I was told an by a tech an OPC in Scotland they are doing 2 transfer boxes a week on average what I don't know were the models Macans or
Cayenne's or both, the two are under the spotlight. The main question I have and I don't think can be answered is at some point your transfer box will fail no matter the age or mileage and keep about £3000 under the carpet if you are out of warranty. Its a game of Russian roulette every time you start the engine, pretty ludicrous in this modern age with a high end product and Porsche won't admit it publicly and has been going for over a decade. All the OPC dealers and the motor trade know about it and I think it will effect the values of Macans in the future.

John
davewf

Post by davewf »

Exactly why I am extending my warranty for two years, because my car has only done 11k and driven very little in the wet. So not used enough to get the fault to manifest itself.

I had the luxury of only having a mile walk to work hence low milage.
Deleted User 3074

Hi Dave

I know what you are saying but its a sad day when you don't know if and when the box is going to go.
Its a very expensive insurance policy you have to take out for piece of mind. Also mileage and years
seem to don't make any difference and not driving in rain will not stop it. Its a gold mine for the Porsche
OPC and they don't seem to care about there reputation, every service centre in the country knows about
this problem.The only good thing for them is they don't break down on the roads because of this fault the
owner lives with it till its time to go into the garage and then gets the dreaded bill if no warranty. If its any
consultation mines has done 41,000 miles and nothing needed done with warranty for 4 years not even a
light bulb.Its just a pity this Transfer box failure saga haunts this great car.

P.S

Before you say it I am touching wood
goron59

Post by goron59 »

davewf wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:07 pm Exactly why I am extending my warranty for two years, because my car has only done 11k and driven very little in the wet. So not used enough to get the fault to manifest itself.

I had the luxury of only having a mile walk to work hence low milage.
I’m also about 11k and just extended 2 years. Also walk to work so no wasted commute miles on the car. I do drive in the wet though. Macan is much more fun in low grip situations :-)

I asked about the transfer box when extending. “Yea it plagues Macan and Cayenne models, but fuck you” he said (not quite literally).

If I couldn’t afford the warranty then i probably couldn’t afford the car in the first place and peace of mind and no hassle is worth more than the approx £75/month. Which is about what I spend on coffee.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

After experiencing shuddering under acceleration for a few weeks I visited Glasgow OPC yesterday and after a short investigation was told the transfer box required to be changed.
The car is nearly four years old with 33,000 miles on the clock.
I guess that's the extended warranty well and truly paid for :)
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2
Deleted User 3074

Hi Alex

Its good they have caught it, just shows again age and mileage doesn't mean anything. It would be good to know if they replace
with brand new box with an updated and upgraded unit.

Did you ever go near water and submerge the transfer box at any time or power wash it Alex, trying to get a reason why these boxes do
this only Porsche UK/GDR will know for certain 100% they have likely done tests and see what happens after the tear of the box.

John