Transfer box - Survey of members

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
ALEX

Post by ALEX »

Hi Robbo
They just said the transfer box required replacing and it was a 6 hour job so I imagine it will be brand new, it is booked in for the 17th June so will ask the question then.
I have never been in deep water or power washed that part of the car, mind you the amount of rain we get where I live it seems as if we are about to
be submerged at times.
Ordered August 2014 Delivery
hopefully September 2015
Code PG4CGYQ2

Deleted User 3074

Post by Deleted User 3074 »

Hi Alex

If you live in the central belt like me how true a statement about the water, I have always said that we should be declared an official monsoon country it never stops lol.
My car is running like new after 41,000 miles and not even a light bulb has been changed since new and yes the transfer box is original.
I hope everything goes all ok on the transfer box , I will use Glasgow Porsche centre if it ever needs anything in the future.
pingman777

Post by pingman777 »

Hi - I Had my transfer box replaced recently on Macan S Diesel and new software applied. when I put car in sports + mode, its not the same , actually more sluggish. when i speak with dealer they tell, its all working fine. i have requested a side by side comparison with another macan

anyone else had an issue with the sports + mode ?
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Interesting.......??

Darryl Cannon‎ to Porsche Macan Owners Club (PMOC)
8 hrs ·
Got my jerky transfer case issue fixed quick and easy by having the guys at Forged Performance in Atlanta change the fluid out with Motul DCTF fluid. Immediately pulling out of the parking lot it was completely resolved and smooth again. Our 2015 Macan S has over 110k miles on it, and the only issue we've had is transfer case getting progressively binding/jerky, especially at low speed while turning or backing up. So nice to have smooth acceleration again!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 3074

Post by Deleted User 3074 »

Hi Sac1

If that was the answer to stop all the transfer box change outs that Porsche UK have completed somebody has made a major error !

Robbo
happy days

Post by happy days »

The transfer box issue seems a bit like the IMS bearing on 986/996 engines to me. Don't worry about it unless it happens! I had a 986 for 11 years and drove it every day. I only heard about IMS bearings after I sold it - there was no issue with mine. If you watched the recent WD, you'd think that every F6 engine was going to explode. (Mind you, a total IMS bearing failure could be catastrophic).
Macan S D
718 S
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

I get the impression the Macan transfer box is a poorly designed duffer hence all the replacements. On my 2017 Macan the t/fer box was replaced under warranty at 3000 miles. My 2019 Macan is 6 months old with 4500 miles on the clock, until recently it had been fine then recently I noticed occasional symptoms similar to those resulting in the t/fer box replacement on my 2017. It's early days so I'm keeping an eye on it.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold
darkness17

Post by darkness17 »

3 months old 1500 miles twice when I’ve been reversing there’s been a definite clunk

Other day I went to accelerate to overtake not booting it but there was a massive jolt as the power kicked in
Simonc

Post by Simonc »

My GTS (Feb 2017 delivery, 30k miles) has been exhibiting the juddering on acceleration from time to time for a while now (generally associated with the All Wheel Drive / Torque Split display showing a full 50% being sent to the front wheels even in dry conditions) and upon taking it into Porsche Glasgow and letting them take a look at it they agreed it was the transfer box so have ordered one in to be fitted in a couple of week's time.
Simonc

Post by Simonc »

Well my transfer box has now been replaced (with the modified version) and since then it has been accelerating nice and smoothly again. Fingers crossed there is no re-occurrence!