Transfer box - Survey of members

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
macanNM

Post by macanNM »

What is OPC's stance when you are out of warranty?

BillH

Post by BillH »

March 2017 24k SD just had transfer box replaced
Deposit paid 12 Sept 2015 Cancelled Jan 2016
Deposit paid Aug 2016 and interim SD bought,
Took delivery March 2017
New Spec
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHXBJFT9
amck

Post by amck »

S Diesel - Registered March 2016

Transfer box replaced December 2018 approx 16k miles
Fast_Eddie

Post by Fast_Eddie »

MY16 S diesel replaced 21K miles.....Australia
berniemacan

Post by berniemacan »

2014 Macan Diesel in Australia. 74,000Km when bought - It had slight shudder on PDK 1-2 shift under very light acceleration which I expected was dirty oil. Contacted Porsche who confirmed PDK oil change had not been done and car had not had any issues - so Porsche did oil service on PDK - that fixed the minor shudder and now beautifuly smooth. They did AJ07 DME update at same time. I had asked for them to change TC oil as well but they said they have never changed transfer case oil and was not necessary as per service book. I couldn't be bothered arguing with them so I did it myself to know what condition things were in and oil was clear with flecks of clutch particles which is perfectly normal. Car now has 77000Km and a sweet transmission without anything to complain about at this stage. This transfer case issue is very common on All wheel drive vehicles and I believe it is related to the flawed design with no differential in front to rear travel as fitted to a 4WD. Some driving conditions and hard driving put a lot of load on the TC clutches.
berniemacan

Post by berniemacan »

And not just Porsche with TC issues - have a listen to this Merc sounding like a bullock wagon when turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwR9YQjQriQ
Deleted User 3074

Post by Deleted User 3074 »

Hi All

New to forum first post

I have just bought 2015 January model Silver Macan SD with 41,000 on it and 1 years Porsche history left.
I did a check on any warranty claims and any work done on the car since new, to my surprise nothing has went wrong
no transfer box, no DPF problems not even a light bulb , only had the normal two services and it drives like a dream
just hope it stays that way.

I was going to ask the OPC if they could drop the oil in the transfer box and check for any contamination of the oil also
ask them if there is a replacement breather pipe they could put on the box as an upgrade.

I am a bit paranoid about these transfer boxes now, I suppose you could say if its covered 41,000 without any problems mines
might have one of the good boxes fitted from new.

The only ones that know the ratio off good transfer boxes is Porsche UK and they will never give this info out maybe wanting you
to keep buying their expensive warranty's I expect.

John
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Mine was a March 2016 model and I had the transfer box replaced last October at 40k.

I'd be pretty confident that yours is one of the unmodified transfer boxes.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Deleted User 3074

Post by Deleted User 3074 »

Hi Phil

Yes I am pretty sure as well, but nobody knows how many failed say its 50% and mines is in the good 50% they are not going to change it
if there is nothing wrong with it. I just wish they recalled all of them and it would save a lot of worry for there customer base. I just find it hard to believe that water ingress caused this, how many people would have thrown water at a transfer box underneath there car and the water to penetrate through a fine breather hole. I think there is more to this. I don't know if all Macan transfer boxes were made in Mexico and they were the cause of the problem or maybe a load of boxes were made in Europe somewhere and they are all ok or vice a versa. I suppose they are under orders not to mention anything. Another thing is we don't know how many dealers will get you a new transfer box if you are out off warranty I suppose that's down to luck as well and how good your dealer is on acting on your behalf.

John
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Robbo 4444 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm Hi Phil

Yes I am pretty sure as well, but nobody knows how many failed say its 50% and mines is in the good 50% they are not going to change it
if there is nothing wrong with it. I just wish they recalled all of them and it would save a lot of worry for there customer base. I just find it hard to believe that water ingress caused this, how many people would have thrown water at a transfer box underneath there car and the water to penetrate through a fine breather hole. I think there is more to this. I don't know if all Macan transfer boxes were made in Mexico and they were the cause of the problem or maybe a load of boxes were made in Europe somewhere and they are all ok or vice a versa. I suppose they are under orders not to mention anything. Another thing is we don't know how many dealers will get you a new transfer box if you are out off warranty I suppose that's down to luck as well and how good your dealer is on acting on your behalf.

John
The impression I get is that if you are out of warranty there is a chance of your OPC seeking a contribution from Porsche. I suspect you would still have to pay some of the cost though.

Has any member been in that situation?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman