N0 v N1

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
happy days

Post by happy days »

Regrettably for me, it's tyre replacement time.

Macan currently on 51k on Michelin Latitudes AS which I'd like to replace with exactly the same.

718S currently on 18.5k on Pirelli PZeros which I'm not bothered about. Looking on line to see how many pennies will be left after replacing all eight and I'm seeing Pirellis with both N0 and N1 rating. Can anyone explain the difference? N0 are about £20 dearer than N1, but that's relatively unimportant. Both ratings have the Porsche symbol beside them.
Macan S D
718 S

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Here you go, Happy...

Porsche N-marked tyres primarily differ from other tyres due to their special design. They provide excellent driving stability – and maximum driving pleasure. During development, the tyre geometry and rubber composition, in particular, are tailored to Porsche vehicles. And this applies to all tyres. Be it all-season, summer, winter or high-performance tyres.

All the tyres available from your Porsche Service Advisor at your Porsche Centre have been thoroughly tested and approved by Porsche. This is distinguishable by the N-marking which is always specified in the tyre's technical data, and abbreviated to N0, N1, N2, N3, N4, N5 and N6. The marking refers to the technical status at the time approval was obtained, and progressively increases. A Porsche-approved tyre ensures that your vehicle retains its original driving performance and safety margins, even after being fitted with a new replacement tyre.

Porsche N-marked tyres primarily differ from other tyres in terms of their geometry, rubber composition and testing methods which includes several important criteria. These consist of three main areas:
1.subjective outdoor criteria, such as handling and driving comfort
2.outdoor criteria, such as day braking performance and service life
3.indoor criteria, such as rolling resistance and performance at high speed

The tangible result is driving pleasure and safety.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
happy days

Post by happy days »

Thanks WIngCo - top man. On the ball as ever.
Macan S D
718 S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

happy days wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:38 am Thanks WIngCo - top man. On the ball as ever.
My pleasure, Happy! :) Coincidentally, I was wondering the same thing last night when looking at a Pirelli advert in this month's PCGB magazine.
Simon

happy days

Post by happy days »

Well, now you know! Two birds and all that!
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

happy days wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:21 am Macan currently on 51k on Michelin Latitudes AS.
That's an impressive mileage on a single set of tyres!
Either the AS compound is made out of wood or you drive that car extremely conservatively! I don't think I've ever managed more than 20k miles on any set of tyres on any car ever! I have Latitude Sport 3 summer tyres on my Tesla X and they have so far managed 16k miles and I might just get 20k out of the set. I was actually quite impressed with their wear rate based on the size and weight of the X and plenty of spirited cross-country driving.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:54 am
happy days wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:21 am Macan currently on 51k on Michelin Latitudes AS.
That's an impressive mileage on a single set of tyres!
Either the AS compound is made out of wood or you drive that car extremely conservatively! I don't think I've ever managed more than 20k miles on any set of tyres on any car ever! I have Latitude Sport 3 summer tyres on my Tesla X and they have so far managed 16k miles and I might just get 20k out of the set. I was actually quite impressed with their wear rate based on the size and weight of the X and plenty of spirited cross-country driving.
100 miles per day on motorway - no stress really. But I couldn't believe it either. Our last Golf had 75k on the rears when we traded it in. I couldn't believe that either!
Macan S D
718 S
Zinzan

Post by Zinzan »

Hi Happy Days

I have a 718S too. According to the Porsche website, the correct tyres for the &18 are the N1s if you are on P-Zeros:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... eapproval/

That's what's on mine. I have no idea how much difference there is between the two, but it might be better to get the N1s if you are planning to extend the warranty.

Zinzan
Gone: Macan S petrol
Gone: Boxster S:
Now: 911 (991.2) Carrera S
happy days

Post by happy days »

Zinzan wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:07 pm Hi Happy Days

I have a 718S too. According to the Porsche website, the correct tyres for the &18 are the N1s if you are on P-Zeros:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... eapproval/

That's what's on mine. I have no idea how much difference there is between the two, but it might be better to get the N1s if you are planning to extend the warranty.

Zinzan
Actually, I'm thinking about switching to Michelin Supersport 4 S. I have always preferred Michelin over Pirelli. Both are N rated so all good there.
Macan S D
718 S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Will be interested how you get on, Happy. On Rennlist there seems to be almost universal preference for Michelins over Pirellis...

I'm guessing Michelins will cost a bit more than Pirelli P-Zeroes, but possibly have more grip...
Simon