Williams Racing Ceramic Coat

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
BenMacan

Post by BenMacan »

I am thinking of having my new Macan S treated to the Williams Racing Ceramic Coat. It looks pretty good quality and will protect inside as well as out. Has anyone any experience of this make? It should give good protection and is guaranteed for the period of my ownership. Would appreciate your views. Thanks.

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Any reason to go for that rather than GTechniq which is well proven over a number of years?
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:01 pm Any reason to go for that rather than GTechniq which is well proven over a number of years?
+1. If having a ceramic coating applied, my first thought would be GTechniq too.

I'd do lots of research before trusting in a new brand and look to pay less than I would for a GTechniq treatment...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
BenMacan

Post by BenMacan »

Basically beacause it would be done by a professional detaler and it would be free!
Paul

Post by Paul »

No experience of Williams ceramic, but the free bit sounds great!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

BenMacan wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 pm Basically beacause it would be done by a professional detaler and it would be free!

Hmmm. Why is it free? :?

An offer from a dealer to sweeten a deal in place of a discount?

"If it sounds to good to be true..."

Should be ok, so long as the 'professional detailer' doesn't cause any damage, or apply a sub-standard product that then leads to cost/work/damage to remove.

Professional detailers charge a lot for their time & expertise, so please excuse my scepticism... ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

^^^ +1
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

BenMacan wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 pm Basically beacause it would be done by a professional detaler and it would be free!
There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Will the Pro Detailer wash, dry and clay bar the car then spend at least one full day correcting the paintwork, will they thoroughly do the same to each of the wheels with them off the car?

On completion of the above will they then apply the sealant top the bodywork and wheels?

Will they then apply a wear layer of sealant?

Will they then leave the car for a full day to cure before refitting the wheels?

A Gtechniq Pro Detailer will.

For my first Macan I had a similar coating applied by the so called Pro Detailer at the OPC and it was OK, but not a patch on Macan number 2 which was Gtechniq’ed.

If you are not planning on keeping the car long term or are not OCD then yes go for the Williams (which I hope is not badged as part of the F1 team).
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
BenMacan

Post by BenMacan »

Wing Co. is almost correct on the 'free deal'. It's an extra on a 'sale or return' when I did sell my old SD through the dealer.
I appreciate all your views and questions. As I understand it they will wash, dry and clay bar the car. It will take a long time to do this although being a new car it will not be very dirty. I will ask how long. It was emphasised that this is the key to a good job. I'm not sure about the wheels - so I will ask. Thanks for that. They will allow the car to cure in their showroom which is a bit warmer for a day. They will also do the interior including a leather treatment. Normal charge for all of the treatment is £700.
I saw the result on a Ferrari, which looked really good and also compared it to one that did not have it and you could see the difference when dry. They were both red of course. My new car will be Night Blue, so I think it will look really good. The wheels will be the 20" Macan Turbo's in satin platinum so I think they would be good also. I wonder what the effect would be on the satin finish? The other point made is that the black plastic trims on the underside sills and the sideblade would come up well and help retain their cleanliness. I am having the window trims in black high gloss. The lights are going to be black also including the rear light bar. Privacy glass etc. etc.
I will carry on with research as I have some time before the early April delivery. By the way, the product is badged
" WILLIAMS RACING, official licensed product of Williams Grand Prix Engineering Ltd." The brochure also has a page dedicated to Nigel Mansell who is" brand ambassador for the Williams branded paint collection programme." I would have thought that he had enough money anyway!
Thanks for your comments.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Hi Ben, doubt that any OPC detailer will complete the job as thoroughly as Col L has explained and to wash and claybar a brand new car is about 2 hours. The paint corrrection ( if any needed) is the labour consuming part. If it's a decently applied sealant or even better in your case a ceramic coating, it will protect the car but as to lifetime that all depends on how you treat it. The worst is auto car washes or one bucket sponge washes from our many friendly local hand car washes. If you use either you'll be seeing swirl marks in under a year. The treatment will make it easier to clean and if you plan on doing it yourself, there is plenty of info on here ( some of us defo car wash geeks 🤓) on how to achieve the best results. If you don't have time for that it's not worth spending hundreds of pounds on it, however if it's part of a deal and your happy go for it. 😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6