Right angled lightening cable

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
davewf

Post by davewf »

As we all know the under armrest space for a phone is too small for an iPhone 8 with its lighting connector plugged in let alone anything bigger.

Have been using a right angled one but even that is a tad too big, any suggestions as to a good quality version that is low profile?

Must admit I am half tempted to take a stanly knife to the inside of the box and make a cut out but somehow that seems a bit wrong.

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Dave, a solution that I did, was to make a platform from a sheet of thin steel. Which was wedge shape, like a piece of cheese. This allowed the cable connector to sit on top of the slope end away from harm. As I don't use the glove box for anything else, it works fine for me.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Similar to above, I tend to put my phone (an 8+) head first in at an angle with the lightning connector sticking out the top. The rest closes and doesn't snag or otherwise stress, and there's room for bits and bobs underneath.

Does highlight how crap the Macan interior design is. I don't know if the facelift has recognised that phones have got bigger like just about every other car made in the last 3 or 4 years!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

If you are just using it for charging, you could use one of the rear USB connectors and place it somewhere on the armrest. Obviously these connectors don't allow you to connect it for streaming music if that is what you want.
davewf

Post by davewf »

Good ideas I am tending to use the head first approach, I was thinking of taking the interior out to see what space there was at the rear and then assuming there is space persuading someone to 3d print an insert to extend the space.

Could always spray it in a flock finish, just a thought.