Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Is the removal of the cheating software, oops, sorry, the update mandatory? Can you refuse to have it done? I've been for a leisurely drive around the Cheshire lanes today around Rosset/ Cuckoo's Nest area if anyone knows that neck of the woods. Pottering along with the sunroof open and Pink Floyd on the Bose. Achieved 40.3 mpg although I don't set out to do an economy run. A few 80-90 mph blasts on the A55 around Chester having just been to book mine in at the Stealers for the 'upgrade'.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

pmb968

Post by pmb968 »

Hi

I was told my 66 plate SD had this update done at is service in late November. I was deeply suspicious as only one once did I had a dpf regen warning which was after a short hard run (but that cleared the next morning after I forced a regen following advice on the Forum) and was happily typically achieving low 40s mpg in the mixed driving of 45,000 miles I’d clocked up over the previous 2 years....

So, over last 2 months, no dpf regen messages, slightly lower mpg (high 30s now) but that just could be cos of the colder winter weather, in fact yesterday my mixed cross country run was back in low 40s again.

So can’t say I’ve noticed anything untoward - as yet at least ! Hope this helps,
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

My letter arrived in the BIN a few days ago, I didn't even consider doing anything else with it as I don't have a Cat or a Budgie!

TBH I'm dismayed that Porsche have let crap like this happen in the first place - we got lied to about the cars affected in the initial VWG scandal, we then get duff updates, and we then get further updates to fix the mess from the previous one - is it just me or Are Porsche going down the pan?
TD444

Post by TD444 »

How do you know it’s door regen? Does it display it?

I have not had one as yet after near 23k miles, I don’t do many short runs which would help and tend to do an odd spirited drive....lol...

I’m also planning on extending my warranty next month so I may be forced to do this to extend the warranty....

T
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

TD444 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:42 am How do you know it’s door regen? Does it display it?

I have not had one as yet after near 23k miles, I don’t do many short runs which would help and tend to do an odd spirited drive....lol...

I’m also planning on extending my warranty next month so I may be forced to do this to extend the warranty....

T
The problem is that you would not necessarily be aware if a passive regen was being carried out. You may notice an increase in engine temperature and a smell from the exhaust. I certainly have never spotted a passive regen happening on any of my three SDs. My first SD never had any dpf warnings in the 12 months that I owned it. My second SD never had a dpf warning until I had the infamous DME upgrade carried out at the first service after two years of ownership. I then had monthly dpf warnings which required motorway blasts for 20 mins to clear. Third SD was pretty much the same until I had the latest upgrade carried out in early December and touch wood this has fixed the issue.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I had the first DME update done (WG22) at 11,000 miles and have now booked mine in for the second update for this coming Thursday.

I have never had any DPF problems, but will let you all know if they start on Thursday! :lol:
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Tomorrow, my SD is paying a visit to the OPC, after developing THE tell tale noises from the steering on lock, and slipping from drive off. Got my letter re the DME upgrade. But the engine is running as sweet as a nut. After reading the prob's people have had, and having since the upgrade, I will tell them not to do the upgrade. They may try and slip it in, while it's there. And then say, by the way, etc....
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Update re DME upgrade.
Took the vehicle in to OPC this morning. The Job sheet was already filled out, with upgrade to the DME showing. Spoke with the controller, and said I didn't wish for it to be done. He said he would have to speak with the service manager, as Porsche would not undertake any warranty work without the necessary scheduled upgrades being carried out. I pressed my point and, he said he would see if my wishes could be accommodated.
We shall see.
Paul

Post by Paul »

and on the subject of dodgy sotware.....

https://apple.news/A1taLSbnpTkSfLMlxtIY8uw
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mikeu

Post by mikeu »

I received my letter RE programing DME unit from Porsche Grt Britain after checking on Google it appears Porsche has been forced to recall 50000 macans after Germanys Motor Transport Authority discovered inadmissible defeat devices on the engines of the SUV Auto Express reports .The German Goverment Body believes the devices could potentially be used to lower the amount of nitrogen oxide emitted during emissions tests.
In view of this Information has any body any suggestions what we should be asking Porsche Uk before allowing the reprogramming.