Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Tom 2000 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:54 am I see over on Facebook reports that the update is buggering up Sports Plus completely. I would not be having that.
Sports Plus and (Sport to some extent) is completely different.

Previously, Sport Plus (on the diesel at least) used to keep the revs high at all times and so consequently would sound rather revvy and rarely get into higher gears unless you were moving fast. I don't think I ever saw 7th gear in Sport Plus.

The new version will get into 7th at relatively low speeds. I guessing 50mph from memory. It will not change down to maximise engine braking just by taking your foot off the throttle but it will do so when you brake.

So, is this good or bad? The old version was definately much more aggressive but as a result of that, I rarely used it. Now it is quite practical for everyday use as it does actually get to the higher gears. It responds better to the way you drive. i.e. if you accelerate and brake aggressively, it will respond in kind but if you drive gently, it still works.

It must be the case that, because the car allows the revs to drop, the response to a sudden demand for power is much slower as it requires a gearchange and the inevitable lag while the turbo spools up.

On balance, I prefer it. Not that I've got the option to go back anyway! ;)
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

A wide range of reported differences from no change to improvement to disaster. It would help if Porsche were up front about the results and clearly state if it is available, recommended or required.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

I had mine updated about three weeks ago. Previously, the car had been updated by my OPC (in late 2017 or early 2018, I think) without my say-so and I was disappointed when that earlier upgrade introduced a number of driveability issues - including a random (but recurring) instance of lethargic pullaway from rest - not good and, in fact, potentially dangerous.

I'm happy to report that this latest update seems to have resolved the earlier driveability problems completely, at least during the 1000 miles or so that I've driven since the reprogramming was carried out. I have no experience of Sport Plus so I can't comment on that, but in terms of everyday use I'd say that, if anything, mid-range response has actually been improved a bit.

So I can report success, and I hope that helps others to feel reassured about this latest update.

James
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

:D
Shortshift wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:22 am I had mine updated about three weeks ago. Previously, the car had been updated by my OPC (in late 2017 or early 2018, I think) without my say-so and I was disappointed when that earlier upgrade introduced a number of driveability issues - including a random (but recurring) instance of lethargic pullaway from rest - not good and, in fact, potentially dangerous.

I'm happy to report that this latest update seems to have resolved the earlier driveability problems completely, at least during the 1000 miles or so that I've driven since the reprogramming was carried out. I have no experience of Sport Plus so I can't comment on that, but in terms of everyday use I'd say that, if anything, mid-range response has actually been improved a bit.

So I can report success, and I hope that helps others to feel reassured about this latest update.

James
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I haven't noticed any issues yet with the update. I don't have sport plus so can't comment on that. It was done nearly 4 weeks ago - so hoping that it will remain fine.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:02 pm I haven't noticed any issues yet with the update. I don't have sport plus so can't comment on that. It was done nearly 4 weeks ago - so hoping that it will remain fine.
Having posted that, I have just been out and wonder if they have messed with Sport mode. It seems to be moving up to higher gears more easily with the resultant lag when you put your foot down. Then again, I haven't been using Sport much recently, so maybe I need to try the PDK reset procedure at the weekend.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not particularly scientific, but I’ve been consciously using the paddles more recently, mainly to downchange coming up to junctions....and I notice now that the PDK seems to “copy” this type of action when I leave it to its’ own devices...
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I had the update about 2 weeks ago. Glide mode only appears to work in 6th and 7th gear. Fuel consumption is possibly slightly worse.

I will monitor it .........
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

don't forget the gear box (changing) will learn for your recent driving and automatically adjust to suit that style.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

gasgas1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 am don't forget the gear box (changing) will learn for your recent driving and automatically adjust to suit that style.
I'm hoping pdk is just "learning" as it does seem quite different.