Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Caster

Post by Caster »

R850R wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 pm Herewith update for what it's worth (probably not much):-
I did the journey again referred to above (M6 with 50mph SPECS, new 70mph cams with NPR elsewhere) and this time after the DME control unit "update".
Accepting there are numerous variables which might negate a comparison, the 2 journeys were very similar.
Journey 1 was pre-update; Journey 2 post update:

Drive time............(1) 1.57h...............(2) 1.59h
Distance.............. (1) 99.1 miles.......(2) 97.2 miles
Consumpt............(1) 48.2 mpg........(2) 40.3 mpg
Speed...................(1) 53 mph...........(2) 51 mph

I'm inclined to (want to?) beieve that the 17% increase in consumption is at least in part attributable to the update.
Thanks for the stats R850R. My SD needed the update doing a couple of weeks ago as part of extended warranty checks etc + I’m certainly noticing an increase in diesel consumption compared to before update. Whether that results in less chance/need for DPF regen work - I guess only time will tell.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D

R850R

Post by R850R »

"Whether that results in less chance/need for DPF regen work - I guess only time will tell."
That the Sport mode can't be maintained at a steady m-way speed is a retrograde step IMHO. I would use Sport to get the revs above 2k for 10 mins 'now & again' to get the DPF cleaned a bit. I find it's no longer to possible to achieve that (is it ??). Using Manual at steady speed leads to reversion to Auto after a short while - as does the paddle for a change-down.
My understanding was that DPF regen only occured above 2k rpm. At steady 70mph an SD is doing less than 2k rpm
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

R850R wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm "Whether that results in less chance/need for DPF regen work - I guess only time will tell."
That the Sport mode can't be maintained at a steady m-way speed is a retrograde step IMHO. I would use Sport to get the revs above 2k for 10 mins 'now & again' to get the DPF cleaned a bit. I find it's no longer to possible to achieve that (is it ??). Using Manual at steady speed leads to reversion to Auto after a short while - as does the paddle for a change-down.
My understanding was that DPF regen only occured above 2k rpm. At steady 70mph an SD is doing less than 2k rpm
Passive regens should be happening without you knowing. Driving at 2000 rpm plus only applies to active regens, I believe, and that is when you get the warning message to carry one out.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Caster

Post by Caster »

R850R wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm Using Manual at steady speed leads to reversion to Auto after a short while.......
Blimey - I’ve never noticed that either pre or post update! If I put main lever into manual it keeps that gear until I’m going too slow/not enough revs and changes down for me but never known it change up automatically (whether in normal or sport mode).

Agree that 70mph doesn’t often need 2k revs + for a Stage 1 regen (or every now and then for the heck of it) I just put it into manual and keep revs over 2k at 40-60 mph for a while by choosing a suitable gear.
Dave

adam b

Post by adam b »

Caster wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 pm
R850R wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm Using Manual at steady speed leads to reversion to Auto after a short while.......
Blimey - I’ve never noticed that either pre or post update! If I put main lever into manual it keeps that gear until I’m going too slow/not enough revs and changes down for me but never known it change up automatically (whether in normal or sport mode).
I certainly does if by "using manual" you mean using paddles, might not be same if using lever
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
Caster

Post by Caster »

adam b wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 am I certainly does if by "using manual" you mean using paddles, might not be same if using lever
If you use main lever to engage manual rather than auto it’s only going to change up and lower revs if you push lever forward or flip RHS paddle.
If you’re in Auto (as it says in Driver’s Manual)....”you can change temporarily from automatic to manual using the shift paddles on the steering wheel”. I think the important word here is “temporarily” as anything from about 15-30 secs seems to be the norm for me after flipping the LHS paddle to go down a gear or two before it goes back into auto! Personally, if I wanted to stay in full manual for longer I’d just move main lever to engage it and do a regen or have some fun etc!
Dave

Paul

Post by Paul »

^^

To qualify the above, if you push the “stick” across to the left you are in full manual. You have (almost) full control either with the gear selector or the paddles. Going up, nothing happens if you choose not to change gear until the rev limiter kicks in, BUT, coming down, for example trundling along at 40mph in, say 4th, if you come up to a junction and / or a standstill, the gears will come down into second or first to avoid you labouring when pulling away.....but you remain in full control subsequently.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

It seems that Porsche are getting quite 'anxious' that they ruin all our SDs with their 'Non Coded Action', DME update?

I've received another letter from them, telling me that my car hasn't been updated (well done Porsche Solihull, for sticking to my instruction not to install it, even sneakily!).

It is such BS, smattered with 'high quality..fascination for our products..continuous improvement', etc.

Combine that with 'the response rates for this Non-Coded Action is being monitored by the DVSA...', which seems almost like some veiled threat, although that said, I am a very paranoid person? ;-)

Why can't they just be honest and say we, along with Audi, screwed up and missed the EU regulation targets - This update will adversely affect the driving experience, AdBlue consumption and fuel consumption?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Had the winter wheel swop done today at Porsche Portsmouth. The DME update was already on the job card. I told them to remove it and, to be fair, they did so. The service guy later told me I was not alone in refusing to have the "update" carried out.

But it is clear that eternal vigilance will be required to keep it out of my SD. I am sure that next April, when the summer wheels are due to go back on, it will again appear on the job card.

Meanwhile I have a growing pile of letters from Porsche UK telling me about this important update. File under BS.
DS delivered 30th September 2016. Final spec code PHFK81G7.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Well done. I am experimenting with Sports+ these days. It goes to sleep also but I am trying to figure out if it wakes up with less stimulus or is just a bit sharper than Sport when it does eventually wake up.
I am considering a Tuning Chip on expiration of Warranty but don’t know if this DME update has buggered that up also.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)