Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

The letter was pretty non prejudial regards compulsory update. It merely stated they had agreed to notify owners.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

I am booked-in to have mine done next week. I'm interested in doing this as my car (2015) had the previous upgrade carried out without my say-so about a year ago, when the car was in for a service. It seems that a couple of issues (driveability related) were introduced as a consequence, so if this latest revision sorts out those problems I shall be happy.

James
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Quote from Porsche-
"In recent months, extensive analyses have been carried out for all Porsche diesel vehicles of emission class EU6. These are related to the retrofitting of diesel engines for vehicles of the Volkswagen Group announced in Berlin on 2 August 2017 as part of the so-called "diesel summit".

For the Macan 3.0-liter V6 diesel (Fuel consumption combined 6.3 – 6.1 l/100 km; CO2 emissions 164 – 159 g/km), Porsche has been carrying out a voluntary service measure since autumn 2016, coordinated with the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA). This measure has already been carried out in Germany with more than 8,600 vehicles. This corresponds to a fulfilment rate of more than 93 percent.

In addition, Porsche will shortly introduce another software update for Macan 3.0-liter V6 diesel vehicles to the KBA. After approval, Porsche will offer the retrofitting of a total of around 52,500 vehicles in Europe (14,000 in Germany). The owners of the vehicles are contacted directly by their responsible Porsche partner. The workshop visit, which is free of charge for the customers, will take place as soon as possible after agreement and will take about one hour to complete."<end>

Key Points.
1. There has been analysis in recent months.
2. The position prior to this upgrade has been in place since Autumn 2016. Possibly only as a Voluntary Service Measure.
3. The current update is an addition.
4.The current update will take place after "agreement".

Plain language, not.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Caster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:14 pm Just spoken to my "knowledgeable" Porsche service contact + good news for me at least. Apparently, this latest software update (out since approx Nov 2018) was issued purely to counteract the problems caused by the earlier software update that might have been installed. Basically, it just takes away effects of previous update and restores it to position it was before!
So, they checked and mine didn't have previous update done so therefore no need to go in and have latest one done as it's already in best set up. Update not compulsory but if you go in for a service they will automatically do it - but happy for you to say don't do it as not related to safety etc.
Contact added that a lady who had 1st update done was then in with DPF faults every month until had latest update carried out + not needed to see her since.
So, I'd check if you've got initial bad update done + if so have new one installed. If not got bad one installed or happy with way your Macan responding I wouldn't bother (unless really want to) - even at next service time etc.
As an aside - new petrol Macan fitted with GPF won't have any issues as positioned better + will work differently !
Had similar confirmation from my OPC today. I was told "not compulsory and will not affect the warranty if you decide not to have it done." They could not say definitively if it would affect power / fuel consumption, but had had no adverse comments to date.

I will leave it for now as running fine and then make a decision before it goes in for its 1st service in early May 19.
Last edited by SAC1 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Looks like demonisation of diesel overdone
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/ ... sions.html
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Got my SD back from the OPC. They left the DME upgrade off the done list, which suits me, greatful to them. However there was a caveat. I am intending to extend the warranty, and was told that to do so, Porsche will insist that all scheduled upgrades have been carried out. I may have to get back into the Arena again, when the time comes.
My ride home from the dealers, was in the new Macan 2.0 litre. And boy has that got some grunt for such a large car. Was informed that the engine is a slightly detuned Golf R engine. Very punchy.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Took mine in for service today and after a bit of discussion they told me that the only effect of this update is to increase the amount of adblue going into the exhaust. As part of it they also fill up the adblue tank. It should have no effect on power/fuel consumption etc. So I let them do it. I collect the car tomorrow and will report back! Fingers crossed it doesn’t cause any issues.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Had mine done yesterday - haven't got a clue if they refilled adblue. On the drive home I had a TPMS warning ('Tyre Change. Update Settings') but after a stop and reboot it sorted itself out. Will report back if I detect any issues ...
Angling Mad

Post by Angling Mad »

Mine is in for MOT, Extended Warranty 111 point inspection new transfer box and the DME update. The OPC gave me positive feedback on this update so will have to wait and see. I will report how it goes as we are off to Kerry next week so it should have a couple of k more mileage on it.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I see over on Facebook reports that the update is buggering up Sports Plus completely. I would not be having that.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)