Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:53 pm
Ian.g wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:02 pm I haven't noticed any issues yet with the update. I don't have sport plus so can't comment on that. It was done nearly 4 weeks ago - so hoping that it will remain fine.
Having posted that, I have just been out and wonder if they have messed with Sport mode. It seems to be moving up to higher gears more easily with the resultant lag when you put your foot down. Then again, I haven't been using Sport much recently, so maybe I need to try the PDK reset procedure at the weekend.
So I did the PDK reset routine this morning and have just been out. I am pretty sure the update has messed with sport mode. It moves quickly to higher gears the moment you back off and so there is a lag if you try to accelerate again. It does change down as you brake, but I am sure it doesn’t feel like it used to.

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Has anyone had their SD in for service/warranty work and told them specifically NOT to install this 'fudge' software?

Just wondering what the Corporate approach/attitude is?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I discussed it with them and they were surprised that I might not want it. They told me that it only increased the Ad blue being put into the exhaust but that the update would include them filling the ad blue tank. As per other posts, I think it has messed up the sport mode.
chudwill

Post by chudwill »

OK having took my Macan out over the weekend as its been in the home garage since the DME reprogramming. I have to say i am disappointed as the gearbox has not got a clue which gear to chose anymore when pottering around town and it has become so uncomfortable to drive. The smooth drive has been totally lost and will now need to ring Bolton Porsche to discuss Monday Morning. Its a June 2016 car so the warranty is about to become up.

The transfer box was replaced 12 months ago, so i know its not that (possibly).

However I only see a couple of people complaining since the upgrade. Are there more?
2016 Macan 3.0D S
Guy

Post by Guy »

To be honest I've hardly used mine since the DME re-programming at the end of Feb. We are moving house this week (Shropshire to Buckinghamshire), so I guess it'll get some use! I'll look out for the symptoms you describe and get back to you!
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

chudwill wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:07 pm OK having took my Macan out over the weekend as its been in the home garage since the DME reprogramming. I have to say i am disappointed as the gearbox has not got a clue which gear to chose anymore when pottering around town and it has become so uncomfortable to drive. The smooth drive has been totally lost and will now need to ring Bolton Porsche to discuss Monday Morning. Its a June 2016 car so the warranty is about to become up.

The transfer box was replaced 12 months ago, so i know its not that (possibly).

However I only see a couple of people complaining since the upgrade. Are there more?
I haven't really noticed a difference in normal mode, but sport mode has been messed up. Goes too quickly to high gears and stays up there.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I’m holding back and have not responded to the letter. I still think the letter was a bit half hearted and they were at pains to point out they had agreed to notify owners and there was nothing to say the update was required or even recommended.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:02 am
Caster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:14 pm Just spoken to my "knowledgeable" Porsche service contact + good news for me at least. Apparently, this latest software update (out since approx Nov 2018) was issued purely to counteract the problems caused by the earlier software update that might have been installed. Basically, it just takes away effects of previous update and restores it to position it was before!
So, they checked and mine didn't have previous update done so therefore no need to go in and have latest one done as it's already in best set up. Update not compulsory but if you go in for a service they will automatically do it - but happy for you to say don't do it as not related to safety etc.
Contact added that a lady who had 1st update done was then in with DPF faults every month until had latest update carried out + not needed to see her since.
So, I'd check if you've got initial bad update done + if so have new one installed. If not got bad one installed or happy with way your Macan responding I wouldn't bother (unless really want to) - even at next service time etc.
As an aside - new petrol Macan fitted with GPF won't have any issues as positioned better + will work differently !
Had similar confirmation from my OPC today. I was told "not compulsory and will not affect the warranty if you decide not to have it done." They could not say definitively if it would affect power / fuel consumption, but had had no adverse comments to date.

I will leave it for now as running fine and then make a decision before it goes in for its 1st service in early May 19.
Well I took it in for its 1st service today and the SA insisted that it did have to have the update [even though I stated my car was running perfectly with no dDPF warnings etc]. On my return trip from the OPC the mpg was down approx, an indicated 5 mpg, but the performance seemed unaffected.

I will see how the mpg is over the next few weeks......
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

SAC1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:10 pm
SAC1 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:02 am
Caster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:14 pm Just spoken to my "knowledgeable" Porsche service contact + good news for me at least. Apparently, this latest software update (out since approx Nov 2018) was issued purely to counteract the problems caused by the earlier software update that might have been installed. Basically, it just takes away effects of previous update and restores it to position it was before!
So, they checked and mine didn't have previous update done so therefore no need to go in and have latest one done as it's already in best set up. Update not compulsory but if you go in for a service they will automatically do it - but happy for you to say don't do it as not related to safety etc.
Contact added that a lady who had 1st update done was then in with DPF faults every month until had latest update carried out + not needed to see her since.
So, I'd check if you've got initial bad update done + if so have new one installed. If not got bad one installed or happy with way your Macan responding I wouldn't bother (unless really want to) - even at next service time etc.
As an aside - new petrol Macan fitted with GPF won't have any issues as positioned better + will work differently !
Had similar confirmation from my OPC today. I was told "not compulsory and will not affect the warranty if you decide not to have it done." They could not say definitively if it would affect power / fuel consumption, but had had no adverse comments to date.

I will leave it for now as running fine and then make a decision before it goes in for its 1st service in early May 19.
Well I took it in for its 1st service today and the SA insisted that it did have to have the update [even though I stated my car was running perfectly with no dDPF warnings etc]. On my return trip from the OPC the mpg was down approx, an indicated 5 mpg, but the performance seemed unaffected.

I will see how the mpg is over the next few weeks......
Have you tried out Sport mode yet? I would be interested to hear if that has been affected or not.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^^ yes and I don't feel Sport mode has been affected. I will do further assessments in the next few days and report back.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver