Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

seam to me the real way forward is to have the car do a dyno run before and record all the software settings, have the update that Porsche states will not effect anything and get another dyno run, if you are not happy with update have the original software put back on ?
simples?

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

SAC1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:55 pm ^^^^ yes and I don't feel Sport mode has been affected. I will do further assessments in the next few days and report back.
Fuel consumption has not been affected after all. Must have been the M-way trip and extra Sport mode usage initially. On trips I do regularly it's still returning the same consumption as before.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I had occasion to phone Porsche Belfast on another service query this morning and they pointed out I had a software update due. When I queried if it was recommended or required they said it must be done. I said I wasn’t happy that was situation and would be in touch. On reading the letter again it says that Porsche have agreed to offer the update and track down all current owners. Nowhere does the letter require me to contact Porsche or require me to have the update. Aside from not understanding the update I have a hardwired resistance to being treated as one of a flick of sheep.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I have this morning emailed Porsche Customer Services as follows:-

Re-programming DME Control Unit

"I am in receipt of your letter of 20 February 2019 offering me a software update for the above motor vehicle.
I would be obliged if you would advise me on the following:-
a) Under what “certain circumstances” does the software update improve nitrous oxide emissions?
b) What noticeable differences, if any, will there be to my Porsche driving experience?
c) Is the update merely “available” or is implementation recommended or indeed required by Porsche?
I await your response as my car is due shortly to visit a Service Centre.
Regards
Tom"
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Interested in their response (if any) Tom, as I'm also reluctant to just be led by the nose into this mod without guarantees etc.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Before taking your Macan in for service can I suggest that you take an image of the PCM screen which shows the installed software version numbers.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Porsche response.

Please see below our response to your questions:

a) The manufacturer's specifications determined during the general certification procedure for the Macan S Diesel (EU6) still apply in relation to maximum engine power, fuel consumption and maximum torque. This was also confirmed by the TÜV (German Technical Inspectorate) and was an important prerequisite for approval by the German Federal Road Traffic Authority (KBA) as the responsible regulatory body. Furthermore, all other general certification-relevant emission values remain unchanged after implementing the measure.

b) To guarantee optimal emission levels for the vehicles at all times, the software parameters for Sport and Sport Plus mode have been updated. The further optimised gearshift characteristic in Sport and Sport Plus mode is only effective temporarily, depending on driving style. For example, your vehicle delivers the sporty performance you require, and are used to, during sporty driving. However, if there is no real dynamic driving requirement after activating Sport or Sport Plus mode, the gearshift characteristic reverts to normal mode. When the vehicle detects dynamic driving (e.g. sporty driving), however, the gearshift characteristic changes to Sport or Sport Plus mode - with lower gears and higher revs - to provide a sporty driving experience. For a steady driving style, the coasting function works at higher speeds.

c) The software update is mandatory for the officially ordered recall campaign.

For more information regarding the above, please do not hesitate to contact Porsche Germany at their email address - contact@porsche.de

Kindest regards

Clare Bayer
Personal Case Manager
Porsche Customer Assistance Centre

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Interesting that even if you select sport (or sport plus,) the car will ignore this unless you are driving hard.....

also, the term “recall” is only applicable if instigated by DVLA and normally on safety grounds...
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

The problem is that if you back off a bit the car promptly shoots up to a higher gear and you are then in the wrong gear to accelerate. The only solution is to change gear manually
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

It seems the update cannot be avoided and the primary effect is gear response. Puts paid to the misinformation regarding only affecting adblue consumption. More use of downshift paddle needed?
Last edited by Tom 2000 on Tue May 28, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)