Re-progamming DME Control Unit

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:48 am Porsche response.

b) To guarantee optimal emission levels for the vehicles at all times, the software parameters for Sport and Sport Plus mode have been updated. The further optimised gearshift characteristic in Sport and Sport Plus mode is only effective temporarily, depending on driving style. For example, your vehicle delivers the sporty performance you require, and are used to, during sporty driving. However, if there is no real dynamic driving requirement after activating Sport or Sport Plus mode, the gearshift characteristic reverts to normal mode. When the vehicle detects dynamic driving (e.g. sporty driving), however, the gearshift characteristic changes to Sport or Sport Plus mode - with lower gears and higher revs - to provide a sporty driving experience. For a steady driving style, the coasting function works at higher speeds.

Ah, that certainly explains my experience although I haven't noticed it coasting in Sport or Sport Plus. I wonder how it detects "sporty driving? Now that I know what it's doing, I'll have to try and find out. It would be nice to be able to "wake up" SPort Plus prior to overtaking, for example.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015

Paul

Post by Paul »

A bit difficult to explain easily, but if you back off the throttle completely the ‘box will hold the gear. It’s when you start to feather the throttle or stop soliciting the engine that it will change up (or pop the stick across to the left into manual and use the paddles as suggested above)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Had my update installed today. The difference was immediately obvious. Unless you keep at her the box quite quickly changes up. Quite obviously when the power is applied the uptake is not immediate as a gear change is required. It caught me out a couple of times when wanting to scoot and change lanes in traffic. I actually found myself using Sport + more and the downshift paddle as opposed to the upshift before the update. I also used kickdown which I never used much before. It certainly requires a change of style. The OPC maintains it will improve the soot situation but I cannot see that logic. I wonder will it improve economy?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

No real difference in economy. The last tank had indicated consumption of 31 mpg and actual 29 mpg. My usual actual is 29-31. Mind you I am driving everywhere in Soort these days.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Just booked in for service and update. They insist that the update is only to do with the NOx emissions system and doesn't affect performance or economy, but I'd rather believe what I have read on here TBH?

I do have the option of not taking it up, but will have to sign a disclaimer, apparently?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Had the 1st service and update done in May. No discernable difference in power or economy, so all good. :D
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

It is quite unsatisfactory now in Sport in the real world. If say approaching a sweeper at about 55 in fifth gear and you drive steady half way round it to make sure the road is clear before accelerating off the car will be in top gear just when you are ready to let loose.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

After discussion with Service Agent, I've opted not to haver AJ07 applied to my car.

No confirmed benefits, only potential increased fuel/AdBlue consumption, unconvincing feedback on performance alterations and no affect on warranty cover - so it's a 'No' from me.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Also had the update a few weeks ago. I avoided it, like the plague. But when I extended my warranty, the dealers said it's not an option, the upgrade is part of the extension. Hey ho, so lets see how it goes. Not noticed any difference as yet.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

The big difference is that Sport goes in to non Sport after about 5 seconds unless the foot is kept to the floor.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)