Dashboard Compass

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

I would like to know if anyone has retrofit the dash board compass.Is it possible, or should I forget the idea?

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Porsche have a site called Tequipment which lists all accessories and available retrofit items.

The links are below for reference, I could not find the compass but as it is what it is it may be available via part numbers so my advice would be to have a word with your OPC.

I do not remember anyone asking about retrofitting a compass before.

I assume its just for aesthetics as the expanse of the dash does look better with a gauge rather than a grill, btw a compass display is available via the SatNav screen, tap the rh icons to get the pop out screen to select either 3D, Google Earth, Compass etc.
https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... equipment/
http://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag ... munikation
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Good advice there and I suspect that, if available, a retrofit for a compass would be astronomically expensive as it would require a new dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

Thank you for the replies.I understand it would be expensive, but I wondered if you could just remove the middle section.I have managed to get the compass on the screen, but it annoys me as the compass points are shown as German initials, so that east becomes an O .Being a Geography Graduate I like to see all the details on Height,co ordinates etc, But I would prefer them in English.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I would not know about just replacing the grill, since I do not remember this being asked before in the 40 odd months I have been here and even longer on the USA based forum.

Which is why I suggest having a word with your OPC.

After you do can you come back and advise what they say?

To expand on what VanB says, do make sure you are seated when you ask how much, Tequipment retrofits do tend to be at a large premium so yours may just be for a whole new dash or it could be a easy lift out, connect and push in type of fit.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Makes me think that just as well I spec'd dash compass. Messing with wiring loom and fitting new dash components might introduce rattles and squeaks.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
65 Rob

Post by 65 Rob »

I asked this question to my OPC (Reading) last June when I collected my 6 month old SD, as I also preferred the look of a gauge in the middle of the dash, I thought it would be a straight forward upgrade, albeit expensive for what it is.

The answer I had was it could not be done, so I would be interested to see if Rhys2004 gets a different response.
Macan SD, Jet Black Metallic, Panoramic Roof, 21” Turbo’s, PASM, Bose, 14 way Comfort Seats, PDLS + a few other bits.
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

If its anything like getting a clock for a Cayenne- too difficult. I eventually got the clock for 1000 pounds, what it fits into was 200 pounds but then Porsche wouldn't sell a cable!
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
Sold: Macan SD
happy days

Post by happy days »

You can configure the RH dial to have the compass and elevation displayed in place of the turbo boost gauge (or whatever your 4th place dial is). I tried it for a while once, ut quickly returned to the volt meter. (Old school - water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and voltage for me).
Macan S D
718 S