Motor for electric parking brake?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Mac1

Post by Mac1 »

Hi.

2015 S Macan...following tips from the forums I replaced the rear brake pads at the weekend...
Don't have PIWIS so attempted to rewind the e-parking piston using a 12v supply, which wasn't entirely successful, so resorted to removing the motor casing on the back of the piston and winding it back manually....

All good on the near side, but on re-assembling the driver's side, when re-affixing the motor, I managed to crack the black plastic housing of the electric motor...!!! :(

I now need to replace the motor...

Given the pads (and the capliers?) appear to be the same as the Audi A6 and A7, I'm hoping the piston and motor are too...

Does anyone know / know which other VAG vehicles use this set up / does anyone know which motors are compatible?

Thanks.

porscot

Post by porscot »

Sorry to hear about your issue. Afraid I don't have a direct reply but suggest the following.

If you go to Porsche UK website, you can download the parts catalogue for the Macan or any other Porsche model.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... inalparts/

From there you should be able to identify the part number. Armed with that a google search of the part number may advise you. Alternatively use something like this which I have not used myself but found someone linking to on a similar post where someone was asking about where a part may also be used - https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en_GB/

If it is not a Bosch part I imagine there is similar elsewhere on the web to cross reference the part numbers. Other option is to phone a breakers like 9-Apart to see how much a used one is.

Can I also suggest if you are working on your own car you invest in something like a iCarsoft CR V2.0 which as well as reading /clearing fault codes can do things like reset the parking brake or DPF reset. You can get a version to deal with Porsche only for around £140 or for an extra £40 you can get a version that allows you to deal with up to 5 models.
Regards
Mac1

Post by Mac1 »

Many thanks porscot.

The motor is actually made by TRW. The brake motor appears to be generically known as 8K0998281A, and the identical (in looks!) part is used across the Audi range. However, having just ordered one for an A4, the centre spindle is larger on the Macan (but the A4 part still fits, and operates), but due to the smaller diameter of the spindle it doesn't engage the piston, it just rotates until it times out; the motor for the A6/A7 also looks identical, but the lugs that fit in to the piston are different! The Macan motor appears to be a hybrid of the 2.

I've effected a temporary repair of the original motor, and have refitted it, all errors have cleared, and the parking brake fully works.

I'm going to try to find a breaker, and I'll take a look at the Porsche catalogue too.

Thanks, Neil.