Apple Car play

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

MrsMacan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:37 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:35 pm I've been to the OPC twice now, with problems with the ipod, intermittently not playing on start up from where it left off. They were unable to solve the matter, even though I purchased a new ipod Touch, at their suggestion. They ended up saying there is a problem with the compatibility, between the Apple system and the Porsche set up. Even though it can have have Apple car play. Realy...
Are you connecting via bluetooth or cable? In my Kia (no Apple Play) I connect my iPhone through bluetooth and the system just sees another media device and the phone is in control of what I play, therefore if I've stopped the car, turned ignition etc it is paused automatically and when the ignition is switched back on and the phone connects to the car it carries playing from where it stopped. I know if I plug the phone into the car with the cable it tries to control it more and I have lots of problems so never do that. I'm still able to change tracks, volume e.t.c on the steering controls, I just can't change playlists and select albums and songs directly through the car's touch screen.

This is probably no help, but I am unsure how functions through the PCM are different depending whether you connect via bluetooth or cable. Might be worth trying both.
Sal, This has been a real nightmare over a few years now. But to be honest it seems to be getting a little better.
I have no Apple Car Play. Just the basic system. My now newish Touch, is connected via a hard cable (USB connection) in the centre arm rest.
I journey out, switch off ign' and just leave it. When I return, engage key in ign' I know then, that it will go heywire. It does not go to ipod, sometimes the icon on the PCM is showing USB, and will stay as that. Sometimes a message comes to screen, device not detected, another time, device not recognised, another time, device not compatible. I then go to the source button, and no ipod is showing. I have to exit that screen on the PCM, (otherwise it will not update the connection) and then remove the USB cable from the port, and re-engage it. Then the radio blasts out. Then I have to go to the source button again, and now the ipod device is present. Press it and away it goes.
It may then be OK for 5, 10 or 15 sequences, but then it happens again.
Sometimes it plays where it left off, sometimes not. And then the format that the music files come to screen (showing pictures of album covers) is different.
When it's OK, I'm able to use the PCM touch screen to select all music files, tracks, playlists as normal.
I now resign myself to the fact, of that's how it is. But I'll will give your suggestion a try, fingers crossed. Thank you for that. :)
Frank

happy days

Post by happy days »

I got CarPlay in both our cars, but I'm not convinced two and a half years later that I would option it again. The only app available that is of interest to me is Google Maps (no sat nav in the 718). The rest are music playing apps or radio station apps. I have all my music loaded onto the juke box, and the PCM is a radio, so I don't see the point.

Plus when using phone or player via CarPlay, the steering wheel buttons largely become redundant.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Macan 1 did not have car play, it was a 2015 build so had the initial PCM. The memory device which had the music was very flaky to use and uploading to the inbuilt Jukebox was problematic. That said once the system had read the data all played OK.

Roll on to Macan 2 and the inclusive Apple Car Play.

I rarely use it for music playback, the best feature is the ability to use the Maps app as an alternative to the inbuilt SatNav as in the area where I live in central Lancashire the live traffic is better on Maps than the inbuilt SatNav.

I gave up streaming music due to iffy reception from the 3 SIM I use for online services.

The car had the latest updates last month but the PCM system is still very flaky with music playback from the SD card, I set it up to play a Santana album and it has taken it upon itself to play a track from the Santana album then one from a Billy Joel album, then back to Santana then back to Billy Joel. It has been doing this for a few days before I got fed up and swapped the source to the other SD card. Now its wall to wall Paul Carrack, btw if you have not seen him live I can well recommend doing so.

When I first got Macan 2 all my Music I had corrected the digital files using MP3TAG and imported everything into iTunes, then created a whole hist of Playlists. Then I copied everything onto the SD card and once the Macan had gone through its process of reading each file and creating presumably its own database everything worked great, it was the ability to use Playlists that I really wanted. Everything was fine until I got the unrepairable puncture and the car went into the OPC where they updated the software and SatNav maps, since then everything has been hit and miss, Playlists no longer function, then roll on until the next update a few weeks ago and now we still have no playback using Playlists and the flaky nature of the system still exists.

I have given up on expecting the system to work.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags