Diesel Service Campaign WARNING.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Fast_Eddie

Post by Fast_Eddie »

Hi guys.
I have just had the above service campaign undertaken and had the following outcome:

Transmission continually seeking to change to a higher gear - eg: in normal or Sport mode will go to 7th gear at 50km/hr or less. Means when you want a lower gear for acceleration then it needs to go down 3-4 gears which is very, very slow.
Normal gear changes up or down appear to be much slower than previously, but I cant quantify.

The engine has lost considerable power - turbo used to kick in at about 2,200rpm, now it is more like 2,700rpm and very mild relatively.

Result of the transmission and engine changes is 0-100km/hr has gone from 6.1 sec to 8.6 secs!!!

I am waiting on a response from Porsche and will post that when I get one, so I do not know at this stage if there is an issue specific to my vehicle or if this is what is expected. Thought it best to warn other owners so you can hold off if you choose whilst we try to understand what the outcomes will be of undertaking this campaign.

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Can I ask which Country you are in, as you talk in terms of KPH?

Be interesting if different results are achieved across different sales areas?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ Fast Eddie is in Australia IIRC.

^^ Can I ask what designation they gave for this Service Campaign; here in Europe the latest one is AJ07. (The earlier DME update, a couple of years back, was WG22)

I had AJ07 done a couple of months ago and have not noticed anything untoward.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

It might be worth searching this forum for the transmission reset procedure. After reset, the transmission will then "learn" how you drive and adapt itself accordingly.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I had my DME software upgraded at beginning of December following dpf issues. Pleased to report that since the upgrade I have not had any dpf regen warnings. I did not notice any difference in performance after the upgrade.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I don't think mine is slower, but I do think they have messed up sport mode. As you say, it keeps changing up to higher gears so there is a lag if you want to accelerate that sport mode used not to have.
Fast_Eddie

Post by Fast_Eddie »

Hi guys. Just to respond to a few queries:
I am in Australia.
Description of work done is: AJ07 Re-program DME control unit.
Operation is: 20POAJ071.
The transmission was reset as part of the process. I am familiar with the reset process, having done it before. This time is very much different as I have noted in my post.
Porsche Cars Australia advises that my experience is not unusual, but not every car responds to the re-programming in that way. It has advised me that the engine has also "been taken back to zero" (whatever that means) and that it also learns how to respond. It has asked me to drive it for a month and that it should get back to "normal" operation. If at that time it is still responding in the same way then it will investigate and fix the issue(s).
I'll let you guys know how it all pans out.
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

I received the update 2 weeks ago.
0-100 times did not change. Also cannot observe loss of power.
However, I did observe that the diesel knocking (not sure if this is the right english term) is significantly louder. I hate that, the smoothness of the engine is somehow lost.

This motivated me to order the PSE for my diesel, for which I always wanted to have a justification.

PDK behaviour changed also significantly. As already reported by many of you, pdk switches to highest gear possible if not driving sporty.

By the way: Today I discovered with my odb2 tool, that the ecu is storing statistics about economic and sporty driving. It also counts the launch control uses. My numbers are ~30% economic, ~30% sporty driving and 45 launch controls.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

can you reset via the odb2 tool to your previous version?
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

gasgas1 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:41 pm can you reset via the odb2 tool to your previous version?
No. I also would not do it. Noone of us really understands what exactly was changed in the ecus software algorithms. I am confident, that taking all changes they have done a good job.