Diesel Service Campaign WARNING.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

mschaffl wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:11 pm I received the update 2 weeks ago.
0-100 times did not change. Also cannot observe loss of power.
However, I did observe that the diesel knocking (not sure if this is the right english term) is significantly louder. I hate that, the smoothness of the engine is somehow lost.

This motivated me to order the PSE for my diesel, for which I always wanted to have a justification.

PDK behaviour changed also significantly. As already reported by many of you, pdk switches to highest gear possible if not driving sporty.

By the way: Today I discovered with my odb2 tool, that the ecu is storing statistics about economic and sporty driving. It also counts the launch control uses. My numbers are ~30% economic, ~30% sporty driving and 45 launch controls.
I have not noticed a change of engine noise. Mind you I am mostly driving in Sport now and I have a PSE. Do you think Normal Mode has been affected? I suspect theres now an Miss Daisy Ultra Mode. My main issue with the update is remembering to wake it out of Sport Sleep as there is now a slight delay between pressing the pedal and the desired effect. I do not detect any significant change in fuel consumption.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

Tom 2000 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 am I have not noticed a change of engine noise. Mind you I am mostly driving in Sport now and I have a PSE. Do you think Normal Mode has been affected? I suspect theres now an Miss Daisy Ultra Mode. My main issue with the update is remembering to wake it out of Sport Sleep as there is now a slight delay between pressing the pedal and the desired effect. I do not detect any significant change in fuel consumption.
You are right, I read in another tread that Porsche's official statement is that sport(+) is switched off once non-sporty driving style is detected.
That means, we cannot use sport(+) to keep revs high for the moment we need power. Only solution is manual shifting.

What I dislike most is, that the responsible Persons at the Porsche center believe that we are stupid. Their statement about the update was: optimization for DPF. No words about the truth that this update was enforced by the German KBA (Kraftfahrt Bundesamt), no word about changes in PDK software. Taking us for a fool is the reason why for me Porsche is a bad company. Not a myth, not a high quality brand, but just a company like many others.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

mschaffl wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:15 am
Tom 2000 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 am I have not noticed a change of engine noise. Mind you I am mostly driving in Sport now and I have a PSE. Do you think Normal Mode has been affected? I suspect theres now an Miss Daisy Ultra Mode. My main issue with the update is remembering to wake it out of Sport Sleep as there is now a slight delay between pressing the pedal and the desired effect. I do not detect any significant change in fuel consumption.
You are right, I read in another tread that Porsche's official statement is that sport(+) is switched off once non-sporty driving style is detected.
That means, we cannot use sport(+) to keep revs high for the moment we need power. Only solution is manual shifting.

What I dislike most is, that the responsible Persons at the Porsche center believe that we are stupid. Their statement about the update was: optimization for DPF. No words about the truth that this update was enforced by the German KBA (Kraftfahrt Bundesamt), no word about changes in PDK software. Taking us for a fool is the reason why for me Porsche is a bad company. Not a myth, not a high quality brand, but just a company like many others.
Yes the OPC gave me that official line and did not acknowledge that Sport went into standby.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
SteveTTT

Post by SteveTTT »

I’m late coming to this thread. I delayed the update, suspecting it was an emissions fix, but had it done just pre-covid. Now the engine feels really rough under light throttle loads between about 1100-1600 rpm, with a lot of diesel knocking. It sounds like an old London taxi and fuel economy has dropped by around 10%. Above 1800 rpm it’s very smooth and power doesn’t feel affected. I didn’t notice any PDK issues, but I don’t have Sports Chrono/Sport+.

I’ve put up with it for a long time but finally decided to complain. It’s going into my local Porsche Centre on Thursday for a ride out with a technician. I’m expecting to be told everything’s normal, but one can hope! It’s a 2017 car under extended warranty so I’m covered if there is an issue.
Current: 2017 Macan S D, 991.2 C2S

Previous Porsches: 964 C2 Cabrio, 986 Boxster S, 996.2 C2, 996 Turbo, 997.2 C4S Cabrio, 996.2 C4S, 991.1 C2S Cabrio
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

I am observing exact same as you after the last update. the diesel knocking is much louder with low RPM and decent throttle.
I investigated in several forums and articels. what I found out is, that the update leads to a change in the Activation of the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) which leads to this noise. you will also observe that this becomes less with lower temperatures (below 10° Celsius) or when engine is cold.

i would like to hear from you what explanation porsche gave to you.
SteveTTT

Post by SteveTTT »

mschaffl wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:35 am I am observing exact same as you after the last update. the diesel knocking is much louder with low RPM and decent throttle.
I investigated in several forums and articels. what I found out is, that the update leads to a change in the Activation of the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) which leads to this noise. you will also observe that this becomes less with lower temperatures (below 10° Celsius) or when engine is cold.

I had to defer the appointment as I couldn’t get fuel, but I’ll now be there this Thursday, 14 October. I’ll post an update.

Previous Porsches: 964 C2 Cabrio, 986 Boxster S, 996.2 C2, 996 Turbo, 997.2 C4S Cabrio, 996.2 C4S, 991.1 C2S Cabrio
SteveTTT

Post by SteveTTT »

SteveTTT wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:54 pm
mschaffl wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:35 am I am observing exact same as you after the last update. the diesel knocking is much louder with low RPM and decent throttle.

I had to defer the appointment as I couldn’t get fuel, but I’ll now be there this Thursday, 14 October. I’ll post an update.

So I went to my appointment at Portsmouth Porsche Centre today, drove the car with a technician and demonstrated the low revs diesel clatter; he then took it into the workshop for diagnosis.

Outcome was completely as expected. The car shows no faults and is 100% fine as far as they are concerned, despite the noise. They are unable to revert to the earlier DME version and the best they could offer was the phone number of Porsche GB Customer Services for me to take it up with them. I’ll give that a go but I think I’m going to wasting my time.

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

Sorry to hear Steve, I have resisted so far and will await your outcome.