Battery problems?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Hi,

Has anyone had issues with their Macan battery not charging properly?

My GTS is just over 2 years old and has covered 8000 miles. However, whilst you might say “drive it....” the car spends most of its parked up time on a CTEK trickle charger as does its stable mate my 997. This week I have noticed that the Macan’s CTEK won’t go past Stage 1 - sulphated - no matter how long I leave it on charge. I have swapped the chargers over and there is no issue with the 997 battery so I am assuming that it is the Macan battery at fault.

2 years seems a little short for battery life by anyone’s standards. Any similar situations out there?

Thanks.
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Is your CTEK faulty? It should light the red icon if it can’t get past a stage shouldn’t it?
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
porscot

Post by porscot »

I read the original post as having tried the charger on another battery so eliminated it being at fault. My experience of batteries is some can almost turn off like a switch from working fine to not holding a charge. Unfortunately I suspect a new one is required.

Regards
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“should light the red icon if it can’t get past a stage shouldn’t it?”

Yep, the red light comes on after about 7 hours on Stage 1. Resetting and starting again results in the same issue. And, I get the same result with the other charger.

Seems like something is wrong but it had its service only a few weeks ago so not sure if it was hooked up to diagnostics at that stage. Will c9ntact the OPC and ask for their view......
2021 - GR Yaris
Zinzan

Post by Zinzan »

Rigger, how are you connecting your CTEK? I had the same issue with my CTEK, which is connected via the cigar lighter socket in the armrest of my Boxster. The solution, if I remember correctly, was to turn the ignition on and then off with the charger connected - this seems to stop the socket from shutting down automatically. Interestingly the problem only surfaced after I had been using the charger for a year with no issues.
Gone: Macan S petrol
Gone: Boxster S:
Now: 911 (991.2) Carrera S
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“how are you connecting your CTEK?”

I use the connected lead that is directly hooked up to the battery. However, there has been some work done in the battery area recently following a blocked sun roof drain pipe and an accumulation of water in the boot. Hence I have contacted the OPC and am taking it in for a check this weekend just to be sure that all is ok...
2021 - GR Yaris
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

On the Macan, I plugged it into the boot 12v socket, while ignition was on, then ignition off and the socket stayed powered.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Problem resolved. It was linked to the pano roof drainage problem. So much water had gathered in the battery compartment in the boot that the trickle charge connector had corroded and this was causing a spurious reading on the charger. Connector to be replaced and all should be well.....
2021 - GR Yaris