New Owner - Headlight & Wiper Sensitivity

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

Hi Guys

Picked up 2016 Macan S Diesel last Saturday.

Extremely pleased so far but i have a couple of niggles which i wondered if they were common to others.

First up, the headlight switch is set to auto and yet the dipped beam headlight indicator on the dash is almost permanently lit with the headlamps on. i've done about 250 miles in it this week and only ever seen it off once. admittedly at 6:15am i'd expect the lights to be triggered on automatically but at 5:30pm in broad daylight, sunny even, they stay on.

Secondly, driving home yesterday through fine rain and i just could not adjust the rain sensor/intermittent wipe where it would detect the rain accurately and clear the screen. wiper stalk on first position and adjusting the sensitivity switch on the end of the stalk.

thirdly, and maybe all 3 are related to a sensor(?), on 1 occasion this week whilst crawling in traffic the parking assist screen lit up and was going haywire beeping warnings when clearly there was nothing close by in the areas lit up.

i do have an unrelated to the above, a brake squeal that seems to appear after an hours driving and then in slow moving traffic.

i wondered it anyone had experienced any of these?

i am in conversation with the dealership with a view to getting it checked out.

simon

Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Re the headlights.

The first thing is, does your car have PDLS Plus? If it doesn't, you have to control dipped/main beam manually. If you have, you have to activate the automatic main/dipping by pushing the stalk away from you until the headlights icon in the centre dial has an "A" (for Auto" added to it.

Hope that makes sense!
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Is the outside of the windscreen clean, all over?

Brake squeal may be fixed with a few hard applications of the brakes to get them properly heated up.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Over sensitive lights are a real bug-bear of mine too....☹️
Park assist is also a little over-sensitive on mine....hedges, trafic etc etc....but I suppose it us simply telling you “something” is within range....
Brake squeal can be cured by doing a few heat cycles (up to 60 mph and brake HARD down to 10 mph five or six times.)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

thanks Paul

glad i'm not the only one re the lights. dealership has offered to check them anyway.

the dealer did advise a similar thing re the brakes so will give it a try.

the dealer is advising on whether the car actually has rain sensitive wipers at all.

the handbook/got to know app isn't very good at identifying aspects that are options and may not be on the car.

simon
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Perhaps get the dealer to provide a print out with the exact list of options that are fitted to your Macan.

Yes the auto-on headlights do come on much earlier than on other makes in my experience. The parking sensors equally are over sensitive when creeping in traffic at sub 10 mph and pick even waving long grass on the verge! Just stand on the brakes a few times, as described by other posters, to stop the annoying noise.

You'll soon get to grips with the Macan's foibles and fortunately much greater blessings. Enjoy.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

thanks chaps.

your replies are reassuring that i wasn't going mad.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I think they all have rain sensitive wipers (unless they became standard sometime between yours and my 2017 model). Mine seem a bit less sensitive than they did when new. I don’t know why.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ian.g wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:12 pm I think they all have rain sensitive wipers (unless they became standard sometime between yours and my 2017 model). Mine seem a bit less sensitive than they did when new. I don’t know why.
My first ‘15 SD had rain sensing wipers.

But as with most ‘aids” they’re either just a tad too late, or a tad too early....😳
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

ok guys so i've been out in the car today in varying weather conditions.

everything actually seems to be fine but as Paul has commented everything seems to be a tad too late.

headlights were off at the start of the journey and light switch set on auto. the lights came on during rain and low light conditions but then took an age to actually switch off again despite bright sunshine.

same thing for the wipers. hit rain, moved stalk to first position with sensitivity high. seemed to operate in accordance with the amount of rain except when there was light rain then moderate. the wipers did not fire up quick enough from idle almost to the point i needed to do a manual wipe.

re brakes, are we talking about stamping on the brakes every journey or just as and when the squealing appears?

btw, the rear wiper stalk operation is poor. the lever to activate it i mean. plus i have a juddering noisy rear wiper blade.