Battery problem

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Fion

Post by Fion »

Hi Bros,
My Macan GTS battery installed, Varta AGM G14. Reads 12.8V before engine ignites, 13.0V from idle to 2500rpm. Voltage only increases when braking from 13.0V to 14.4V, quickly lowers when brake is released. Anyone has idea what's going on? Thanks!

porscot

Post by porscot »

Hi, and welcome.

Other than the voltage varying you don't mention any problems that go with it. It reads like you car starts fine and I assume runs as expected.

If under warranty and there are issues, simplest just to give it to your local OPC to review.

Regards
Graeme
wilko

Post by wilko »

Completely normal.
Battery only charges when braking, unless it’s low, in which case it charges all the time.
All to do with reducing parasitic load on the engines to reduce emissions.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Fion

Post by Fion »

Thanks Graeme & Wilko,
It all happened last week that, all of a sudden when driving at 20mph, multiple warning lights shot up, ABS, traction control, parking brake, gear fault( yellow possible no R and then red), engine control contact dealer. So I went to change the battery, the next day all signs gone on their own. 😶
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Mine reads 14 volts all the time I'm driving it. It's my understanding that to maintain a 12 volt lead acid battery at full capacity it should be charged at a minimum of 13.8 volts therefore charging at 13 volts won't maintain full capacity amp/hour rating. The knock on affect would be shorter battery life due to under charging and quicker loss of charge during multiple starter cranks and quicker loss of charge during periods when a car isn't used.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold