These Warning lights suddenly came

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Fion

Post by Fion »

These warnings came all of a sudden today :( ABS/PSM, traction control, parking brake, gearbox failure, engine control fault, start-stop deactivated, AWD deactivated. Gearbox failure is the deadliest, it locks the car in gear 1.
Is it really possible to have multiple systems failure at one go? Or just a commercial trick set in the circuits scaring the owner for a dealer hug? This 2016 Macan GTS has run 9K miles only!

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Maybe the battery is dying?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It is most likely a software glitch if it has been a one off but it may well not be.

Does your GTS sit for long periods unused? If so you need a trickle charger like this

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

Also if you anything permanently connected to the in car electrics then it can reduced the battery voltage to the stage where you get just the faults you quote (voice of experience here) and they are exactly what I saw when my Macan spent 6 unused weeks in my garage.

If it is none if the above and should it happen again use your mobile phone to take images of the error messages or take video if that is better, then you can email the images/video to the Service Manager at your OPC.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I would also vote for battery.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Taz

Post by Taz »

Having just been through all of this ... twice, I suggest a trip to the dealer to get the battery checked. Mine apparently gave all the right signals but when soak tested it failed.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree, 3 yrs old and just 3000 miles a year points to a flat battery to me.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Fion

Post by Fion »

It all happened weeks ago, when I was thinking of the same battery issues as you guys commented. A brand-new Varta G14 AGM start stop battery was installed. It was fine, until yesterday when all the warning lights blossomed. Sounds more like a software glitch, but why should the circuits link with the ECU of the gearbox locking the car at the center of the highway.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

All it takes is something to trigger the glitch.

Whilst not applicable to our Macans I did have a very similar occasional fault happen on a previous car, it would flash up error after error messages and go into limp home mode. It always happened when I activated the cruise control. The dealer or manufacturer never solved the problem which was rare at only once per year.

So I suggest that should it happen again think about what you were doing at the time of occurrence, then you can advise your OPC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Taz

Post by Taz »

A man in Porsche (as in Porsche Germany) told me that an ECU can have a minor fault without it causing any problems, but when another ECU also has a fault it compounds, and then another ECU etc., etc. It only needs something to trigger the chain and then all hell breaks loose with the warning messages.

A software reflash is the answer.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
davewf

Post by davewf »

Otherwise known as a Corner Case, happens in the best of software. Hopefully not in Aircraft though.

"Corner case occurs outside of normal operating parameters, specifically when multiple environmental variables or conditions are simultaneously at extreme levels, even though each parameter is within the specified range for that parameter"