Newish Owner - Water leaking into passenger foot well

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

hi all

the subject says it all really.

today in the heavy rainfall and on a previous occasion of rain there is significant water leaking on the outer inside plastic trim of the passenger foot well and possibly dripping from under the glove compartment.

the first time i thought it was where the door had been opened and allowed water to run off it onto the trim inside but i suspect there's a blocked drain hole somewhere.

anyone else experienced this?

i thought i'd reach out before doing the round trip back to the dealership.

thanks

Col M

Post by Col M »

Do you have a sunroof?
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

yes
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

The front drain will be blocked, have come detached or be porous.

Open the sunfoof fully and look for the hole near the front where the drain is. Pour some water into the gutter and see if it runs away cleanly. If not the drain is blocked and you'll need to unblock it. The Porsche recommended way to do this is to push something into the drain from the bottom (it exits behind the wheel liner) and remove it from the top.

If it has become detached or is porous (I had the latter on my Audi A6 with the same sunroof unit), you need to remove the a-pillar trim to investigate.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

thanks. will check that out.

simon
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

hi guys

finally checked the sunroof and poured half jug of water into the gully on each side.

it drains cleanly down to the wheel arch and onto the floor. no obvious issues. no water inside the car.

simon
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Really need to take the a pillar trim off to investigate then.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

will get it booked into dealership for checks.

simon
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

jbravo970 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:03 pm hi all

the subject says it all really.

today in the heavy rainfall and on a previous occasion of rain there is significant water leaking on the outer inside plastic trim of the passenger foot well and possibly dripping from under the glove compartment.

the first time i thought it was where the door had been opened and allowed water to run off it onto the trim inside but i suspect there's a blocked drain hole somewhere.

anyone else experienced this?

i thought i'd reach out before doing the round trip back to the dealership.

thanks
Another common cause of this type of water ingress in many cars is the cabin air filter housing. This is at the rear of the engine compartment on the nearside of the car, just below the windscreen. If the drain channels and holes are blocked, or the cover and/or the filter seals have not been fitted correctly, water can enter the car and usually ends up in the passenger footwell.

You don't say what age and mileage your car is. When the cabin filter is changed at services, incorrect refitting can lead to leaks into the car. Incorrect assembly on the production line could do the same. Also, leaves and other debris can block drain holes and channels. Is the car regularly parked under trees? Check the drain holes in the plastic scuttle at the base of the windscreen. Check under the bonnet for similar debris and whether it is preventing water draining away. A gentle hose spray in this arrear might prove if this is the source of the leak.

If you're not happy to start pulling bits off and opening up the cabin filter box, or if the car is still under warranty, then it's a trip to the dealership.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
jbravo970

Post by jbravo970 »

@NN

very interesting. it is parked regularly under trees at my wife's work and it was annoyingly covered in sap a while ago to prove it.

in fact, now you mention it i've had dig out loads of leaf debris from our bmw from those very areas when she was using that for work.

i will check that now too.

in the mean time it's a 2016 Macan S Diesel on 31k and it's still under the used car warranty.