Air Suspension - is this a fault?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
peter7

Post by peter7 »

Mines a 14 with air and 85k miles I leave it for 6weeks in my garage when I’m away for winter break ,always as level as I leave it ,my son has an X 5 and his was doing that ... we changed one air bag ... not too difficult .. fixed the issue . Not sure how it would be to do the same job on the Macan .
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

dangezza wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I dropped my car off at OPC for some warranty work. Drove a Macan loaner back and switched it off, the air suspension didn’t drop.

Mine has air suspension and rides fine but it does drop virtually as soon as I lock the doors. Thought it was normal as air compressor must switch off but noticed the loaner car has not dropped at all in the two hours it has been parked.

@lookalike50, did you ever get yours checked out? I’m thinking of contacting OPC to ask them to check mine whilst it’s in.

On a lighter note, I can confirm the 2.0 Macan does have some sort of launch control (I.e without the message in the MFD) :lol:
The car will rise when you turn the ignition off to ease your exit, then once the doors are shut it will fall back to its original height. I believe this can be turned of on the PCM, but cannot remember how.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Kleynie wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:24 pm
dangezza wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I dropped my car off at OPC for some warranty work. Drove a Macan loaner back and switched it off, the air suspension didn’t drop.

Mine has air suspension and rides fine but it does drop virtually as soon as I lock the doors. Thought it was normal as air compressor must switch off but noticed the loaner car has not dropped at all in the two hours it has been parked.

@lookalike50, did you ever get yours checked out? I’m thinking of contacting OPC to ask them to check mine whilst it’s in.

On a lighter note, I can confirm the 2.0 Macan does have some sort of launch control (I.e without the message in the MFD) :lol:
The car will rise when you turn the ignition off to ease your exit, then once the doors are shut it will fall back to its original height. I believe this can be turned of on the PCM, but cannot remember how.
That's news to me. Where did you get that from? Why would the car 'rise to ease exit'? For a lot of people that would make it more difficult. Mine does move after switching off but I believe that's the system shutting down until next switching on when the self levelling reactivates.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
lookalike50

Post by lookalike50 »

The suspension does sometimes inflate/deflate when you exit the car, this is normal and to the customer does appear somewhat random. I'm sure the Porsche engineers have been very meticulous in determining why and when this is triggered, and who am I to judge. Providing the level is even across the car you probably haven't got a problem.

The issue I had originally was that the front-left suspension appeared to totally collapse after 2-3 days of inactivity when compared with the front-right. The OPC confirmed there was a leak in the Air Spring and replaced it under warranty. Outside of warranty and I'd have been looking at £760 + 4 hrs labour. Oh, and I also had the use of a Cayman T for a week.....every cloud and all that!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:57 am

That's news to me. Where did you get that from? Why would the car 'rise to ease exit'? For a lot of people that would make it more difficult. Mine does move after switching off but I believe that's the system shutting down until next switching on when the self levelling reactivates.
I got that from observations from my own car. I have mine set on low level constantly and it seems to rise to a higher level when getting out, then it sinks to the low level again when the doors are closed. It has sat for weeks over lockdown with no movement whatsoever, so no leaks.
I do seem to remember a setting in the control screen to activate this, and I think it’s in conjunction with the drivers seat moving backwards for entry/exit?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Kleynie wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:52 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:57 am

I got that from observations from my own car. I have mine set on low level constantly and it seems to rise to a higher level when getting out, then it sinks to the low level again when the doors are closed. It has sat for weeks over lockdown with no movement whatsoever, so no leaks.
I do seem to remember a setting in the control screen to activate this, and I think it’s in conjunction with the drivers seat moving backwards for entry/exit?
Yes, I have mine set on low too. It 'settles', or adjusts slightly when I switch off after parking in the garage, so on a level surface, but it doesn't significantly rise or fall overall. I'll check, but I think the comfort entry and exit only adjusts the seat and steering wheel, even on air suspended cars and I don't recall a setting for the suspension to adjust too.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

I wasn’t aware that air suspension played any part in the comfort entry/exit system too. I know the seat drops and steering wheel lifts up.

I will probably ask OPC just to check the system since it’s with them although it looks like it could be normal and part of the levelling as my house is on a hill so although the drive looks flat to the eye it is far from it.

Car is in to check rear door handle sticking and what feels like a judder/hesitation when reversing into my drive when car is warm. I expect they will fix the handle with some lubricant and not manage to recreate the judder feel. It’s a 2019 model so don’t believe they are affected by the transfer box issue.

When I visited I did open the door to quite an oil slick and the way the car park was jam packed it looks like they’re fairly busy.

426BCB18-A44D-45CD-B78B-24F2C66E9EB4.jpeg

bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Didn't realise that 2019 model isn't affected by the transfer box issue. Is that confirmed?
dangezza wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:34 am I expect they will fix the handle with some lubricant and not manage to recreate the judder feel. It’s a 2019 model so don’t believe they are affected by the transfer box issue.

Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

bbpxbbpx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:33 am Didn't realise that 2019 model isn't affected by the transfer box issue. Is that confirmed?
dangezza wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:34 am I expect they will fix the handle with some lubricant and not manage to recreate the judder feel. It’s a 2019 model so don’t believe they are affected by the transfer box issue.

I read somewhere that the updated transfer box was fitted from sometime in 2018 onwards and haven't seen any reports of people with 2019+ models having the issue. I could be wrong.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

dangezza wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:42 am
bbpxbbpx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:33 am Didn't realise that 2019 model isn't affected by the transfer box issue. Is that confirmed?

I read somewhere that the updated transfer box was fitted from sometime in 2018 onwards and haven't seen any reports of people with 2019+ models having the issue. I could be wrong.
I didn't realise the transfer box was updated, I thought I'd read that the new cars have the remote breather located in a better place (higher up to stop water ingress).
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)