Anyone do there own repairs

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Wondering if anyone does there own repairs ?
Served my time as a good old motor mechanic "not vehicle technician" back in the day and always like to have the necessary diagnostic equipment for whatever car I have.

Could anyone offer any advice on a diagnostic tool suitable for the Macan.

I have been looking at this one.
http://www.obdtester.com/pocom
Any suggestions.

John

porscot

Post by porscot »

I'm not familiar with that tool. I have an iCarSoft CR2.0 which allows errors codes to be read and reset as well as other functions. It was good enough to clear 133 errors (well, 132 of them with the remaining one about overdue service item I think). Updates are available to download online and no annual fee.
It also will read live data from the car. I have the 5 make version (Porsche being 1 make and covering all models within that) which was not much more expensive than buying the single make version. There is a version that covers many more makes but as I have been limited in my car choices over the years the 5 make version seemed most appropriate for me.

Regards
Graeme
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Porscot/Graeme,

I have just been looking at the YouTube videos of your ongoing Cat-N Macan repairs - very impressive!

I have a question about the version of iCarSoft that you are using. When I search I can find a 'Porsche' version, a 'European Car' version, and an 'all makes worldwide' version. I can't see a '5 make' version - can you let me have details? Also, if you purchase an 'all makes' version (or even '5 makes'), does that reduce the Porsche-specific functionality? Also, any idea if you can purchase/download additional models after purchase?

I was tempted to get the Porsche-only version, but it seems silly to rule out other makes - plus my son's VW Golf has an engine warning light at present that we need to clear (and possibly fix) before its MOT! :)

I'd appreciate your advice!
porscot

Post by porscot »

Hi Guy
Thanks for your kind words.
I just had a look on ebay and it seems they are offering an even better version of the iCarsoft V2.0 as it now can allow 10 marks not just 5. I have the CR V2.0(1+4) but CR V2.0(1+9) is available for around £160. Regarding functionality it makes no difference for a specific mark if you buy the 1 mark, 5 mark or 10 mark version. When you register the device and install the application that manages the updates, it gives you a screen that shows all marks available, the latest version of the software available and for the marks that you have on your device, it shows the version you have. That means you know if there is a later version to download or not. What is also means is it is the same software available to all devices, it is just that some devices will permit more manufacturers to be downloaded than others. You can start by downloading just one mark then at some later point download other marks. Once you choose a mark that is set but you can upgrade the software version when they make another available for download.
Their Porsche version is just a single make version, the all makes version is the most expensive and the European version is just limiting the marks to European models. As I say, the Porsche software is the same on all but just your choice for what combination you wish to pay for.
Hope that helps.
Regards
Graeme
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks Graeme - a very comprehensive reply that has answered all my questions! The 10-make version does look very good value, and I do think it will cover my current and future car ownership needs!

Good luck with the rest of your Macan re-build - I'll be following your videos but I am sure forum members will want to see the results also once it is back on the road.

Thanks again, and have a good weekend!
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

There is also an option "OBDII / EOBD" on the icarsoft which allows you to do a diagnostic check on most cars but only on the engine, kinda like a generic code reader but still handy.
adam b

Post by adam b »

Marque not Mark (sorry for being pedantic)

got a link to the YT videos please?
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)