Particulate Filter

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Radas.Rob

Post by Radas.Rob »

Morning everyone

My Macan SD came up with a message on the dash last week “engine control fault contact dealer”
I had a look on here to see what it maybe and booked it in with the dealership.
Views on here were oxygen sensor... as always bang on the money.
Car was in with the Dealer for the day and the diagnosis was blocked oxygen sensor and a regen required.
According to the Dealers in Feb on our service an update was done to fix the problems with the particulate filter, so it is now no longer covered under the warranty as it was a driving style issue. As a good wil gesture I was charged half price for the works £235.00. Apparently the amber fault comes after 2 grey warning lights for regen required, we have not noticed any of these? The Dealer said that they might have not come on as all the issues on the system pointed towards the oxygen sensor and this as been an accumulation of 2 1/2 years of driving, hence the discount possibly.
Going forward it looks like a possible ongoing cost.
My wife drives the car mostly on the school work commute only doing 7k per year. We have always used Shell Vtec diesel and only had the regen light come on once, the dealership have carried out now 3 regens on our car.
Think I might need to take it out on a few more weekend runs in sports mode!
Most say after 2 1/2 years of ownership still very pleased with our car and the brand. The dealership have always been very helpful and a pleasure to deal with, and the Boxster GTS curtesy car is good fun.

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

why not get yourself a OBD 2 iCarsoft POR V2.0 PORSCHE Diagnostic Tool and regen yourself when needed
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Radas.Rob wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:18 am
My wife drives the car mostly on the school work commute only doing 7k per year. We have always used Shell Vtec diesel and only had the regen light come on once, the dealership have carried out now 3 regens on our car.
The key issue with the SD is not so much the annual mileage but the individual journey mileage. Unless you live more than 10 miles from your childrens' school and the journey mainly involves open road running then, in winter, the car will never get warmed up. Just using it for local work almost guarantees DPF issues.

I've had my Macan SD for more than four years and never had a regen warning (I've just had a new AdBlue pump and sensor but that is another story!). My regular journeys were more than 100 miles each way. Lifestyle changes mean I no longer have need to make these journeys so I think very carefully about when and where to use the Macan.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Radas.Rob wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:18 am
According to the Dealers in Feb on our service an update was done to fix the problems with the particulate filter, so it is now no longer covered under the warranty as it was a driving style issue. As a good wil gesture I was charged half price for the works £235.00. Apparently the amber fault comes after 2 grey warning lights for regen required, we have not noticed any of these? The Dealer said that they might have not come on as all the issues on the system pointed towards the oxygen sensor and this as been an accumulation of 2 1/2 years of driving, hence the discount possibly.
A couple of further thoughts. The update that came out earlier this year (Off hand I can't recall the number but it was something like A07) was intended to fix the DPF problems. I would suggest you ask your OPC to show you the "driving style exclusions clause" in the three year warranty. In the unlikely event there is one ask him to show where he got you to sign that installing that upgrade came with driving style exclusions and you understood the limitations.

A second point is that when you bought your car (late 2016?) problems with the DPF were already known. Did your OPC ask what use you intended for the car? They should have been recommending the 2.0L petrol as a much better fit for your wife's intended use. I don't recall anyone on the forum being told that the SD was not a good choice for them.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel