ATF Service - lower road range question

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
porscot

Post by porscot »

When repairing the front end of my car I knew I would have to top up the ATF. I established that the ATF had not been changed at 40,000 miles, so I decided to drain the remaining fluid and change the filter at the same time. That went more or less as expected. New crush washer on the drain plug and filter just needs 17mm socket to loosen / tighten its cover.

My question relates to the wording in the service manual for the procedure to be followed after the initial fill. It states to 'warm up the transmission in lower road range; switch all transmission ranges several times while doing so.'

For 'lower road range' Is this referring to selecting 'off-road' or something else? For switching all transmission ranges, is that awkward wording for cycle through drive, park, neutral, reverse?

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards
Graeme

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

porscot wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:19 pm When repairing the front end of my car I knew I would have to top up the ATF. I established that the ATF had not been changed at 40,000 miles, so I decided to drain the remaining fluid and change the filter at the same time. That went more or less as expected. New crush washer on the drain plug and filter just needs 17mm socket to loosen / tighten its cover.

My question relates to the wording in the service manual for the procedure to be followed after the initial fill. It states to 'warm up the transmission in lower road range; switch all transmission ranges several times while doing so.'

For 'lower road range' Is this referring to selecting 'off-road' or something else? For switching all transmission ranges, is that awkward wording for cycle through drive, park, neutral, reverse?

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards
Graeme
I'm guessing here but I interpret that to mean operating the car in the lower gears, manually changing gear often, probably to speed the warmup and to disperse air bubbles.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Graeme - it's lower load range I think (not road).

I take that to mean a) warm it up gently and b) change gear multiple times during the process. I'm not an ATF expert but the usual process seems to be to go through all the gears a few times after changing the fluid.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Col M

Post by Col M »

I believe the PDK fluid change starts at about 2:15
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

I would immagine they mean warm up the gearbox and engine oils and then select the various gear options a number of times to circulate the new oil. Certainly on a Rover 75, admittedly a straight auto box, the manual said to engage gears on a warm engine to circulate the new transmission oil and then after performing this, re check the auto transmission fluid level.
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

I would immagine they mean warm up the gearbox and engine oils and then select the various gear options a number of times to circulate the new oil. Certainly on a Rover 75, admittedly a straight auto box, the manual said to engage gears on a warm engine to circulate the new transmission oil and then after performing this, re check the auto transmission fluid level.
porscot

Post by porscot »

Charles, well observed; it is lower load range. I asked my local OPC and they confirmed cycling round drive, park, neutral, reverse is what should be done. No need to switch to manual.
Thanks for the other replies too.
john2000s

Post by john2000s »

Wow that was the easiest oil change I have seen, when I did my Cayenne this is the procedure I used,

https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/aftermarket-portal/passenger-cars-and-lcv/know-how/useful-tips/transmission-oil-change/