Integrated Front Foglights on Macan-2

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

Just spent the last two days driving in heavy morning fog, the LED lights on the Macan are woeful in fogy conditions with lots of reflection, decided to utilise the integrated front fog lights, not a bit of difference, I was expecting to see a broader/lower/wider beam, but I have to say I could not see any difference at all.
Drove to work, still dark and foggy, parked the car in the car park facing a white wall, switched between fog and auto, no change in light beam at all, both front and rear fog light functions eliminated on the dash, was expecting better from Porsche especially with the plus lights!
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You'd need to switch the headlights off to see the fog light pattern.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

If you switch the headlights to off, the fog lights switch off switch off as well, they are integrated within the main headlight assembly.
The rotary headlight switch has to be turned from Auto through sidelights to headlights, then pulled out to first stop, then second stop to have front/rear fog lights on, when you rotate back to sidelights, the switch rotates the fog option off.

Upon further investigation against my garage door, the drivers headlight assembly lowers slightly when in front fog use, the nearside does nothing, not sure if this is how it is designed to work or not, if so its not great, better off with individual fog lights set low within the front bumper.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

.. you did not say: - but be on dipped beam ??

Many cars extinguish the fog lights on full beam. However, it is possible the main beam range is reduced on Xeons and LEDS which support auto leveling and steering functions. PDLS+ certainly moves the light pattern around at different speeds and according to what the camera sees, you've prompted me to have a look at mine out of interest :?
Last edited by Ferdie on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Paul

Post by Paul »

Admittedly not relevant to the OP, but this is how the phase 1 GTS with optional LEDs looks...

https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5088&p=101926&hilit=Front+fogs#p101926
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

Ferdie wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:39 pm .. you did not say: - but be on dipped beam ??

Many cars extinguish the fog lights on full beam. However, it is possible the main beam range is reduced on Xeons and LEDS which support auto leveling and steering functions. PDLS+ certainly moves the light pattern around at different speeds and according to what the camera sees, you've prompted me to have a look at mine out of interest :?
Yes on dipped beams, tried the fog function again this morning, only one selection on rotary switch, pull out once for fog lights, rear fog lamp illuminates and the drivers front headlight assembly lowers ever so slightly, pretty crap to be honest.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange