Heated rear screen

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

The heated rear screen is not working on the macan , when pressing the button on console it lights up so guessing its not a fuse ?
Would anyone know where the connections are ? The dealership got the rear windows darkened for me and wondering if they maybe knocked a wire off.

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I think the connections are under the plastic cover on the tailgate below the screen.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Guy

Post by Guy »

The connections to the heating element are half way down each side of the rear window. I can just about see a brown wire on the right hand side of mine if I peer in with a torch. (Looking inside the plastic cover that Charles mentioned above).

There's also a rear window heater relay in the fuse/relay area in the side of the boot, so it's probably worth checking whether you can hear that clicking when you operate the switch.
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Thanks,
I,ll have a check and hopefully see a loose connection.
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Checked heated rear screen relay fuse in boot fuse box, its ok ?

I removed plastic trim round rear window and getting 12v reading from brown wire (Guy mentioned) on drivers side but no reading from passenger side. ?

Getting frosty here now so be needing it soon :roll:

Car is out of 3 year manufactures warranty, but was bought from approved Porsche dealership with 2 year extended warranty, do you think this would be covered under extended warranty.
Guy

Post by Guy »

vanduara37 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:49 pm I removed plastic trim round rear window and getting 12v reading from brown wire (Guy mentioned) on drivers side but no reading from passenger side. ?
Passenger side should be zero volts - that provides the potential difference across the screen. Perhaps the conductive strip (the heating element) on the glass is broken? Maybe check resistance across the terminals via the glass (with positive side disconnected)?

EDIT: Should have said: check first that the passenger side terminal is connected to the vehicle chassis - i.e zero resistance between it and an unpainted metal part of the vehicle.

EDIT2: And yes, it should be covered under warranty!
steve w

Post by steve w »

Best bet if it’s under warranty take it back to a OPC and let them sort it for you.
SteveW
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Car been to OPC today, heated screen diagnosed as faulty due to the element being broken in several places.
The breaks appear to have been caused by non oem window tinting, £1086.00 to replace.
I purchased the car from a different OPC a few months ago and asked them to have the windows tinted for me which they did arrange and have done for me. I contacted the supplying dealership and forwarded the report from the OPC that did the inspection but they are saying they will have to investigate ? Surely this situation is for them to resolve at their expense and not mine ?
Paul

Post by Paul »

If they want to investigate that’s fine. Suggest they come and collect the car and leave you with a suitable replacement in the interim. They can then return the car to you when the heated rear screen is repaired.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465