O2 Sensor Blocked

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Caster

Post by Caster »

Got the "Engine Control Fault - Consult Dealer - Driving Permitted" warning on my 3yr old/33k SD the other day so booked in to dealers who diagnosed a blocked O2 sensor as well as a stage 2 DPF clogging up!

I think Stage 1 is where you can clear by driving at +2k revs at more than 37mph etc, etc; Stage 2 is where they have to do a forced regen and Stage 3 is probably replacing the whole filter!

On the O2 sensor side - the first pic below shows my sooted up, blocked one; 2nd pic shows what it looked like when they cleaned it and 3rd pic shows the new type one which they now fit which shouldn't clog as much! 4th pic shows where the inlet O2 sensor is in the engine (just right of centre - near bulkhead).

On the Forced regen side I was surprised to hear that it would cost an hours labour @ £180 (£150 + VAT) to have carried out as not covered by warranty. Needless to say, I negotiated a discount and had the work done but wasn't too happy.

I was discussing the overall regen with the Workshop Manager and it's worth mentioning that regen will only work if you have more than a half full tank of diesel when doing a Stage 1 regen yourself (driving at +2k revs etc) and also a more than half full tank of AdBlue.

So final questions - is the more than half tank of diesel based on a standard 60 litre tank or a 75 litre one like mine + how on earth do you tell how much AdBlue you've got in its tank?

02 sensor blockeda.jpg

02 sensor old versiona.jpg

02 sensor new versiona.jpg

O2 Sensor.JPG

Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D

Guy

Post by Guy »

^ A few frustrating issues there! And those are on top of the AdBlue leak that you mentioned in the other thread.

Was the O2 sensor replaced under warranty? If not, did they charge you for more than 1 min 21 seconds worth of labour - see here:

That's the first I've heard of needing more than half a tank of adblue to carry out Stage 1 regen and find that quite surprising! Effectively it's saying that regen is unavailable approx. 50% of the time - most strange, and worth getting a second opinion.

With regard to the quantity of fuel dependent on tank size - who knows? I would imagine that it is based on the fuel gauge/position.

(EDIT: Previous posts on the forum have suggested that only 1/4 tank of fuel is required for regen to take place.)
Caster

Post by Caster »

Guy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:02 pm ^ A few frustrating issues there! And those are on top of the AdBlue leak that you mentioned in the other thread.
Thanks for the reply Guy + good to see how quickly they can change an O2 sensor. Fortunately, the sensor was done under my extended warranty - just had to pay for the forced regen part of the work.

Interesting to hear other views on the amounts of AdBlue and Diesel required to be present when doing a Stage 1 regen and how/if they can be accurately measured. Will check again with the Workshop staff when there tomorrow for my AdBlue pipe change + maybe even mention it in the next Porsche Appraisal thing I have to fill in. Will report back if anything new comes to light.
Dave

Caster

Post by Caster »

Got 2nd, 3rd & 4th independent opinions on my queries today + concensus was:-

If you get the Stage 1 DPF Regen Warning (basically drive at +2k revs etc, etc) a quarter tank of diesel will be fine - one technician even went so far as to say the car does a calc of remaining fuel and works out if enough to carry out regen - not sure if get an indication if not enough though !

As long as you don't have the "Fill up AdBlue" warning (think within 1500 miles) you'll have enough AdBlue to do a regen. Also confirmed no way of checking how much AdBlue remaining in tank.

So, not the at least half a tank of diesel & half a tank of AdBlue I was quoted earlier in the week. OK, it's not a great difference but at least if the regen warning comes on when I've got about a third of a tank of diesel left - I won't now go straight to the nearest Shell garage for some V Power and squirt as much AdBlue in as I can at the same time before speeding up and down the motorway!

Nice to have this Forum (cheers Guy) to bounce things off and get some useful advice - helps to put mind at ease. Plus, if you get some initial dealer advice and it doesn't sound right - it's worth getting another opinion or two!
Dave

Guy

Post by Guy »

^ Good news - thanks for checking and clearing that up! :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

+1

1/4 tank of fuel.....Adblue level not relevant (if light not on)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465