Whining Noise at low speed

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Vertue

Post by Vertue »

I have the same problem. Whining since new at low speeds as you say <20mph. I’ve just taken it back to Porsche and they say it’s not faulty as compared with another Macan S car. I’m requesting to test drive another Macan S. Can’t believe such an annoying noise can be right.

I’ve only done 2000 miles. Already had off-side rear suspension changed as faulty. That was at 500 miles. Hoping I’ve not got a Covid built car. It’s my first Porsche

Stevieman

Post by Stevieman »

Mine is doing the same now, it’s a 20 Macan S did anyone get to the bottom of the noise?

I’m just back from the OPC and was told nothing to worry about, all fine. I just can’t not hear the noise now!
2020 Macan S
Z018 M2 (sold)
2016 M135i (sold)
2002 Boxster S (little project)
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

My 2020 S is up to 15k miles and I've not heard anything like this.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Hi All.

I'm on my 2nd Macan 2 and noticed a similar noise back in November. Never heard this on previous car which was the same model, engine etc. The noise I hear is a grating noise at crawl speed and also if at idle gently lifting the revs to 1000 rpm. I thought it was my brakes that were scraping but that's not the case. I too was told only last week it was a characteristic of the car, however when spending 60k is a load of B@#0#£KS to be honest. I've also noticed another wallowing noise & vibration when I enter between 1800 & 1900 revs approx 70mph. It's like a wallowing noise from the back end similar to the exhaust noise but with the slight vibration. The vibration can be felt under the foot resting pedal, steering wheel and the gear changer. It would be very interesting if any of you guys could recreate this issue. Once you hear this noise, rest assured it will become very annoying. Best way to experience this for the first time is to turn radio down, heaters off and ease into the 1800-1900 zone. I can actually identify this at lower speeds too whilst going throug the rev range. Thanks everyone look forward to hear your findings. Ps Macan S is the model.
Stevieman

Post by Stevieman »

I was advised by OPC to talk to Porsche Assist if it gets worse, and I’m thinking of going down that route, as I know they won’t be able to sort it at my house, but I might make enough of a nuisance of my self to get something done. This is my first real Porsche and it’s really spoiling my enjoyment of ownership. It just harks back to all issues with M cars and BMW ‘ not our problem ‘ attitude which I hoped would be a bit different with Porsche.
2020 Macan S
Z018 M2 (sold)
2016 M135i (sold)
2002 Boxster S (little project)
mrb608

Post by mrb608 »

As a follow up to my original posting, I've had the car in to the OPC twice with regard to this issue. On the second visit they determined that the noise I was hearing occurred at 900 rpm, and was only audible when inside the car. They also tested it alongside another 2019 Macan S, which replicated the noise. In addition they logged a query with Porsche technical, as the OPC couldn't determine what was causing this noise, however Porsche came back with it was a 'characteristic' of the car, which in my world means either 'we don't know either' or 'it's too expensive for us to fix'. Either way, it's not really acceptable for a £60K+ car. The noise is so noticeable in a generally quiet car, that If any of the vehicles I test drove had exhibited this noise, I simply wouldn't have bought the car in the first place.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I wonder if this is tyre related? I have Michelin Latitude tyres on my 21” summer wheels which are silent, I am currently running Dunlop 4D on my 20” winter wheels which give a slight whining noise at slow speeds, sounds like a wheel bearing on its way out. I know it’s the tyres as I had the same noise last winter on the Dunlop 4D’s.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
mrb608

Post by mrb608 »

It's likely not tyre related, as the tech guys were able to replicate the noise whilst the car was in the workshop alongside another Macan
boer13

Post by boer13 »

mrb68, has this been resolved eventually?
I'm busy working through old threads about noise..

thanks
'17 sd | agate grey & black | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |
'16 sd | sapphire blue & agate+pebble grey | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |