Cracked Door Handles

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I've 2019 Macan S, bought new in May. I noticed what I thought was a deep scratch on the drivers door handle, it was in a bit of an odd place & my initial thought was it was perhaps my good lady's ring that caused it. I was in a rush so got on about my business, later I was opening the back door and noticed a similar mark, confused I looked more carefully. Both my offside door handles are cracked.

Has anyone else experienced issues with cracks appearing in the door handles. It seems bizarre, maybe a bad batch?

Drivers 1.jpg

Rear 1.jpg

2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Never seen that and no obvious marks suggesting any vandalism also don’t think it’s been on this site before? Definitely a visit to your OPC needed
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

My guess is they've been bashed against something hard enough to break them, but soft enough not to mark the paint, like a wooden fence post? Definitely not a common 'problem'?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

The paint is unmarked. To ‘bash’ the door handle hard enough to crack it without marking the paint, whilst maybe not impossible, seems unlikely and to do it on 2 doors in the same way seems pretty close to impossible? I googled it and there were a couple of instances on other forums, but the posts were not recent.

The only other thought I had was that perhaps something happened when the car was shipped & the cracks have simply grown over time with use (it’s done less than 4K).

I don’t live close the the OPC, the pictures are emailed & I’m waiting for a reply.
TonyZed

Post by TonyZed »

I have a similar crack on my otherwise unmarked rear offside door handle. The problem is that my Macan is 2014 reg so I don't think I'd have much luck with Porsche.

TonyZ
peter7

Post by peter7 »

I am very new to Macan ownership I bought mine last week from a small car dealer .RE14KTG Macan S 2014 with 75k on clock.On returning home and washing it I too noticed a scratch /crack in drivers and passengers handles , with 2 days left on the Porsche warranty I headed off to the local (Brooklands) Porsche dealer upon inspection and a return visit to remove some paint to check plastic beneath, it was found that they both had cracks are being replaced under warranty in the new year.
Very good service from Porsche Brooklands ... highly recommend
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars
davewf

Post by davewf »

Wonder if the extended warranty would view these cracks as cosmetic and therefore refuse to pay on them?
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

peter7 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:03 pm I am very new to Macan ownership I bought mine last week from a small car dealer .RE14KTG Macan S 2014 with 75k on clock.On returning home and washing it I too noticed a scratch /crack in drivers and passengers handles , with 2 days left on the Porsche warranty I headed off to the local (Brooklands) Porsche dealer upon inspection and a return visit to remove some paint to check plastic beneath, it was found that they both had cracks are being replaced under warranty in the new year.
Very good service from Porsche Brooklands ... highly recommend
It's good to hear that they quickly sorted it. I emailed the dealer a few days ago, no response so far but I'll give them a call in the morning to see what their thoughts are.
RAA

Post by RAA »

I've just read your post, and went outside to check my own car, also a new Macan S collected in May. I checked all four door handles at the top and underneath, and couldn't see or feel any sign of cracking. All I can think that the cause might be, is uneven expansion or contraction due to temperature changes (?) I'm sure that, if yours were struck with enough force to crack them, then there would be other marks showing.

Please let us know the outcome. Good luck !
peter7

Post by peter7 »

davewf wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:28 pm Wonder if the extended warranty would view these cracks as cosmetic and therefore refuse to pay on them?
They first said they thought it would be viewed as cosmetic , but when I took the car back a second time they sanded the paint off to reveal cracked plastic and they then agreed to replace them with new painted handles which are ready to be fitted when I return hone next month . All in all a very good service from Brooklands Porsche .
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars