Cracked Door Handles

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Vxah wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:06 pm My car is just now 5 years old and all four handles have cracked. Porsche Great Britain are telling me they are unaware of any known issue so they won’t consider a contribution as the car is now out of warranty.
Reading this I’m loathed to pay for a new set @ £900 fitted only for them to crack again!
Just out of interest, do you have the keyless entry & drive option?
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed

peter7

Post by peter7 »

I do have those options but mine cracked after 5 years
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars
Vxah

Post by Vxah »

Indeed I do, I don’t think there is an issue if the car doesn’t have it?
I’ve acquired a used keyless handle and taken it apart to investigate. The electronics inside are potted with quite hard rubber type stuff filling the entire cavity. I’m guessing that in cold conditions the plastic handle wrapped around it shrinks and cannot compress the rubber, the plastic is probably quite brittle when frozen and so it splits. Might try measuring it then putting it in the freezer, see how much it changes?
Something to do while on furlough!
Washmittmeister

Post by Washmittmeister »

Hi All,
I detailed a clients 2year old Macan last week. The car had already been back to Porsche for 3 of the 4 handles that had cracked!!
The new set has now cracked as well so back to Porsche again!!!
This is obviously a problem. I hope that Porsche will own the situation and deal with cracking without regard to the age of the vehicle.
peter7

Post by peter7 »

Amazing it’s not been addressed yet , my car was one of the first press cars in 2014 ..and they are still using the handles that are not fit for purpose! Come on Porsche ..
Vxah

Post by Vxah »

They want £900 to replace them, I guess that would give me one year parts and labour warranty on them?
Not very reassuring when reading about them failing again by two years!
Porsche GB said they pay no attention forum chat!
peter7

Post by peter7 »

Has anyone heard of door handles failing on any other make of car ? Prestige or other ?
RAA

Post by RAA »

I've wrapped my recently cracked door handle with cling film, to hopefully keep out the rain. My Macan S is less than 2 years old - this shouldn't be happening !
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Do I take it that these cracked door handles are always associated with the Entry & Drive option? Or has anyone experienced it with standard locking?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

As the issue seems to be temperature related, I am wondering how many of the affected cars are both entry and drive and not garaged at night?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8