Any common issues with the Porsche Macan Turbo?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
extremelandy90

Post by extremelandy90 »

Hello all,

I am currently looking for a Porsche Macan Turbo for my partner and before she takes the plunge and spends a lot of money on one I just thought I would post here to hear the horror stories (if any) of the Turbo's common problems (if any 😉)

I hope that no one replies and that anyone who does is just saying no major issues, but I thought that I'd be organised and ask before we spend the money 😊

Thank you in advance for any and all replies and talk soon.

Kind regards and all the best,
Mark

adam b

Post by adam b »

I did my research and there is nothing particular to the Turbo

Transfer boxes is weak point but known issue, and a general Macan issue
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
extremelandy90

Post by extremelandy90 »

adam b wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:18 pm I did my research and there is nothing particular to the Turbo

Transfer boxes is weak point but known issue, and a general Macan issue
Grand, thank you for letting me know, I have scanned the Internet myself and found nothing out of the ordinary but I thought that I should just ask the question quickly to cover my back 😉

Thank you again Adam, you're a star 👍🏻
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

As they’re all turbos, I’m guessing that any issues would be common to them all apart from perhaps the diesel?
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Had mine from new (3.6, 400hp, Porsche twin turbo), now 35000 miles with no issues best all round luxury performance car on the market. The latest facelift version has 2.9 440hp Audi bi-turbo with a GPF. Not sure about it myself as it has only recently been released, although the unit has been used within the range for some time now. My personal opinion, stick with the original until the new engine version has at least a year of proven reliability.
Bad points 🤔 not really apart from the fact that you’ll be returning not much more than 21mpg 😖 but who cares 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

No issues with mine, great car to drive, used a little oil before the first service but none since.

Brakes appear to be wearing quite fast but i'll check them myself before the second service.

Fuel consumption at 80 on cruise isn't too bad, two tonnes and 440HP on twisty roads will never be both fun and economic!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

We bought a used Sept 2016 built Turbo with some 13,500 miles on the clock at 10 months old.
We ran it for two years up to about 34,000 miles and it was faultless. The only downside was the fuel economy due to it's weight and height / size.
It excelled on long, autobahn journeys. Very stable at great speeds.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

There's the issue of the timing chain cover oil leak.

In the US, a number of Macan owner's have experienced this issue. The root cause
seems to have occurred when the engine was built and some number of timing chain
cover Torx bolts were over-torqued. As the months go by and the engine goes through
heat/cool cycles, the over-torqued Torx bolts may fracture. With the TCC no longer
properly secured to the engine block, oil may seep out, eventually working its way down
to the undertray and ultimately drips onto a garage floor.

Typically owners, or their mechanics, discover evidence of the oil seepage on the TCC,
the engine block or the wiring harness near the front of the engine.

In the US, repairs have been completed under Porsche factory warranty - original or CPO.

Unfortunately, it is an engine out procedure, meaning the engine must be removed from the
vehicle to effect repair. The fractured Torx bolt(s) remaining in the engine block must be
removed (e-z-out extractor).

:shock:
adam b

Post by adam b »

PSEE wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 pm There's the issue of the timing chain cover oil leak.
presumably not a Turbo specific issue?
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
extremelandy90

Post by extremelandy90 »

Tim92gts wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:07 am No issues with mine, great car to drive, used a little oil before the first service but none since.

Brakes appear to be wearing quite fast but i'll check them myself before the second service.

Fuel consumption at 80 on cruise isn't too bad, two tonnes and 440HP on twisty roads will never be both fun and economic!
Thank you for all of your replies, all seem okay some red flags but nothing I am too concerned about 😊

Just a quick question for you Tim, what mpg are you getting when cruising at 80 mph ? I have read the 21 mpg but hoping that was at 80 mpg too 😕

Thank you again guys and speak soon,
Mark